The Start Motor Clutch, I've got stuck

BritishBusa

Registered
Hello to all, this is my first post so thanks to anyone who can find a moment to help me out here.
I've always hankered after a Busa and have just picked up a 2001 Right Hand Drive one over here in London (small joke).
I quickly diagnosed starter clutch issue which I've stripped down the fairings and casings, got the 14mm bolt off by putting in 5th gear with the back brake on which was fine. What isn't working is levering the old clutch off the splined rod- its stuck fast. I was thinking it could do with a puller on it but cant find any reference to a Busa Puller and the three holes arent threaded. I've tried knocking it loose very carefully but its just stuck on there. I'm tempted to put some heat on it but am worried about it catching fire- any clues would be very much appreciated!!
For ref I liked it so much I commuted into central London on it for a week which put some smiles on some faces!!
Thanks all.

Tim

A picture is worth a thousand words.........

So if you can attach an image of the area you are talking about it will help us to help you.

new-clutch-bolted.jpg

the above shows the starter clutch in situ- the middle 14mm bolt is now off. Its the starter clutch as shown in the pic that I can't get off the central spline the 14mm bolt went into if that makes sense. As said it feels solidly on there, there is no 'give' at all _ I was expecting once the bolt was removed to be able to slide it out and replace with the new one.

thanks.

Yes! That's what I thought- the bolt is definitely out and in the parts tray. Can't think how I can apply pressure to the back of it to get some pull on it.

Thanks for the image.

OK -this is the first time that I have heard of someone putting the bike in 5th gear and the brake on to get that bolt off. (front sprocket yes - starter clutch no)
I think many guys use an impact gun in reverse and they should get it off without a brake or gear change.

If you have a brass hammer I would use that tapping around it to see if it's not 100% square and that is binding it up.
Do you have any penetrating oil? A few drops might help.

If that fails put the bolt back in and torque to spec then remove it again to see if that MIGHT possibly straighten it if it's cocked at all.

As a almost last resort - can you put it all back together and spin the starter motor?

Let us know if any of those work. If not I have one more idea but try those first.

Good luck - hope that helps.

That spline btw is the end of the crank shaft, wouldn't want too much heat in there, big socket over the end of the crank end (to clear the crank shaft end) and give it a couple of sharp knocks with a copper mallet, id hope this would break the lock you have between the two faces, it should wiggle off, if you can prise evenly from opposing sides of the starter clutch.
good luck.

Thanks for everyone's help. I managed to get a gear puller onto it in the end and extract it that way- it was pretty tight on there. All now back together and starting perfectly every time. The starter clutch itself was off the 'bay and cost around £120- apparently the company have designed it as an upgrade and only sell starter clutches - it looks exactly the same as the last one but will feedback on how well it works over time. Cheers. Tim

Glad you got it. That's crazy. I've changed a lot of starter clutches and never had one that wouldn't pull off by hand.

Back