Oil Leak!!!!

Hayabusawannabe

Registered
Looks like I've got a leak. The bolt is tight but it's definitely leaking.

WP_20140925_003_zps9ad7c3e5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Replace the oil pan if the drain plug is leaking. Have you replaced the crush washer ?

Looks like a old leak. Clean off all the oil, go for a ride
and look for any fresh oil. That drain plug does not appear
to be the source.

Now that I've looked at it from every angle I don't think it's the drain plug. Looks more like it's coming from the front sprocket area as seen in this pic..

WP_20140928_001_zpsb278b439.jpg

I've never taken that cover off but since there's been some noise in that area it I can see how a leak would start there. If I do take that cover off will the clutch fluid come out??

Now that I've looked at it from every angle I don't think it's the drain plug. Looks more like it's coming from the front sprocket area as seen in this pic..

WP_20140928_001_zpsb278b439.jpg

I've never taken that cover off but since there's been some noise in that area it I can see how a leak would start there. If I do take that cover off will the clutch fluid come out??

You can remove the cover with the four screws holding it in. You'll expose the front sprocket and the push rod that goes into the case through a rubber seal. Hopefully it's not that seal that is leaking...

take the pushrod out and clean it real good. If that doesnt work, replacing that seal is a pita!

Looks like months/years worth of chain oil/muck oozing out of the front sprocket cover....that area needs a clean every 6-12 months or the muck behind there bit by bit helps shorten the chain / sprocket life.

You can take that cover off without worrying about clutch fluid. Your clutch slave cylinder and actuator rod is underneath along with your sprocket and speed sensor. Clean it up really good like the others said and you should find out where the leak is coming from.

Looks like months/years worth of chain oil/muck oozing out of the front sprocket cover....that area needs a clean every 6-12 months or the muck behind there bit by bit helps shorten the chain / sprocket life.

Exactly that! I've never bothered to clean that area. :laugh:

Finally got off my butt and decided to crack this bird open. I took out the 4 bolts but that cover won't come off. Do I have to take that whole area apart??

WP_20141215_002_zps20e35a59.jpg

Back