New Hayabusa Overheated

InigoMontoya

Registered
I just got back from a ~20 mile trip. There was very light stop and go traffic and I was accelerating hard at every light to get in front of cars and practice launching but was still shifting before 5500 RPM because the bike isn't broken in. On the way back I got some gas, turned off and on the engine and had no issues. I should have probably noticed the red-lined temp gauge. Not something I'm used to looking at regularly.

When I pull up to my apartment complex's gate, about a mile from the gas station, I put the bike in neutral to get the keys out of my bag and then the engine knocks off and would not start again.

I'll wait until the bike cools down tomorrow and check coolant levels. Its a brand new bike, 300 miles and completely stock. The dealership did a long pre-sale inspection and I never checked the bike's fluid levels myself. Probably a mistake. I hope I haven't been breaking in my bike without coolant. I also hope overheating the engine at 300 miles isn't bad for the bike. Could it be anything else? If the coolant levels are normal, I guess ill have to take the bike in for service?

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

lol this is hilarious.

My backpack tapped the ignition kill switch somehow when i was pulling out my keys. I really thought I toggled it when I was troubleshooting but I must have overlooked that it wasn't completely clicked to on.

I went to walk my dog earlier, turned on the bike got the same gauge display. Then i felt the engine and it was cool to the touch so i knew something was up. I toggled the kill switch, everything went back to normal.

So in short, I'm an idiot and the engine kill switch was engaged. :banghead:

Very happy the bike is fine though :beerchug:

yes you are an idiot,lol. My bike has the same coolant needle in red zone problem that has nothing to do with anything.

BB

I might have missed something but my 08 has never been above mid gauge in the worst conditions. I would take a new gen II under warranty back if it ran hot.

Could be bubbles in the coolant, or maybe bad gas causing pre-ignition. I once called a tow truck only to find the kill switch was off. Cost me $35 bucks so I'm dumber than you :laugh:

Hmmm i think ill be nice here,, Not,,

Wait,

D
U
M
B
A
S
S

Glad it was nothing, not go and get the miles and smiles!

shorts sprints on any bike can overheat them...low rpm means the oil & water pumps don't run that fast so don't cool the engine as fast and at low speed the airflow isn't enough to help the radiator do its job.
Yeah ... before reading you final findings I was going to suggest checking the kill switch as its a Busa thing when both the fuel and temp gauges read 100% when you turn the ignition on whilst the kill switch is ON

So apart from feeling silly....hows the bike compare to what you had before.

shorts sprints on any bike can overheat them...low rpm means the oil & water pumps don't run that fast so don't cool the engine as fast and at low speed the airflow isn't enough to help the radiator do its job.
Yeah ... before reading you final findings I was going to suggest checking the kill switch as its a Busa thing when both the fuel and temp gauges read 100% when you turn the ignition on whilst the kill switch is ON

So apart from feeling silly....hows the bike compare to what you had before.

Its great man, I really love riding this thing. Multiple times I have pulled it in my garaged only to immediately decide to take it back out for another hour. A little bit weird to at times, very often I find people taking pictures of me in their cars with their cell phone. One dude in a Ferrari today made a point to pull up next to me so the passenger could take a picture. Not sure what they are doing with them, maybe its because I ride to my local gym everyday without gear and in gym cloths. I don't gear up for my short gym ride, except for the helmet obviously.

I've been running this a couple times a week to break in the bike.
Topanga Canyon Loop | California Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

Yep they did a super good job on the Gen II cooling system. Major improvement.

Hahaha...that was one fun read!:laugh: and I can imagine how tense you must have gotten with anxiety:banghead::lol: Happens....especially when something inadvertently occurs, while it is really nothing. Glad to see you smiling again. Ride safe and have fun

Back