Best way to "clean" valves?

cbibb

Registered
Just pulled my 1397 out of my street bike to put in my race bike. The engine ran great, but when I pulled the throttle bodies and exhaust I looked at the valves. Most of the exhaust valves looked pretty /chambers looked pretty carboned up like it had been running rich. A couple of the intake vales looked like they had a little build up as well. Like I said the bike ran great, but wondered what the best way to clean up the vales a little without pulling the head apart. Seafoam maybe? I have never used the stuff but heard great things about it. Thanks guys

That is definitely not the problem lol. It actually just got done with a dyno tuning session and there was definitely some twisting of the wrist!

I've heard water injection keeps and engine clean but not sure about cleaning them after the fact. I ran seafoam through the intake and fuel with no noticeable difference on the butt dyno.

How bad is the buildup? The intake valves are cooled by the incoming charge. Carbon collects on cool surfaces. I don't think there is a way to keep them completely carbon free if you are riding.

if the fuelling is off even a slight bit at the revs you normally run at then the valves will coke up.
How do the plugs look, are they the right temp grade.
Is the engine crank breather working OK...could be burning a touch of oil.

Plugs look great, I would assume they are the correct temp grade, they are stock suzuki replacements. I really dont think its burning any oil, zero sign of that. Thanks for the feedback guys

I have used Seafoam before with some success. I have also used plain old water. Look on You Tube regarding all of this and you will see what people are doing. Can't really reccommend how to go about it... just make sure you don't hydro lock the motor with to much at one time.

Back