06 Hayabusa Clutch Chatter/Noise Loss of Power bike buckles on accel

victor247

Registered
Hey guys, so i just purchased this bike from my brother. He had it for 2 years before i got it and he wasn't riding it. I did some custom work to it like powder coat and fresh paint. I didn't touch the engine. But once i has everything back together i took it out for the first ride and i was horrified by the acceleration. It would chatter/make a loud knock noise and the bike would buckle back and forth until i was over 2500 rpm. It doesn't do that after 2500rpm. but when riding it doesn't accelerate and doesn't have its full power that it should,. So I'm thinking maybe it need a fuel system flush. I cleaned the fuel filter and put new gas in. When the bike was standing in neutral it would chatter but once i pulled the clutch in it stopped. So i did some research and found out about the clutch mod and i welded mine like they say to. I also installed heavy duty clutch springs. So now the chatter is gone but the the noise and buckle on acceleration is still there and so is the power loss issue. I just ordered the cam chain tensioner, TRE, and new plugs. I hope that fixes my issue. do you guys know of anything else that i might look for? Thank you!

Maybe he wasnt riding it for a reason? I guess the main question is how did it run as soon as you bought it from him and before you started taking it apart?

Cancel the TRE and the stock tensioner works well, if you adjust a manual wrong one you can break the timing chain.

Is it slipping or is the engine cutting to make it buck?

It ran fine and he said that's the first he heard of this problem. I trust him. I think it's clutch related or maybe gas? I try to go WOT and it hesitates and doesn't accelerate. But the chatter/buckle is bad. It shakes the whole bike.

You changed the oil right ? I'm thinking fuel system. Idle set right for Gen I ? Low RPMs will starve the top end of much needed oil at idle, but that wouldn't explain the 2500 RPM issue.

You changed the oil right ? I'm thinking fuel system. Idle set right for Gen I ? Low RPMs will starve the top end of much needed oil at idle, but that wouldn't explain the 2500 RPM issue.

Yes I changed the oil. Fuel system I think can cause the loss of power, but the jurking/ noise?

Idle should be set between 1250 and 1500 RPM...

From the sounds of your issue, it very well could be your clutch slipping. I would pop off the clutch cover, pull the fiber plates and check the specs. I would also pull the steels and see if there is any "Blueing" on them, which would be caused by them overheating (possibly due to slippage). I would also check to ensure they're not warped.

Before that... when the bike is bucking do the RPMs drop off, or do they rise?

((Could also be a bad TPS sensor. I had this happen on my 1K years ago, and it frustrated the hell out of me))

Idle should be set between 1250 and 1500 RPM...

From the sounds of your issue, it very well could be your clutch slipping. I would pop off the clutch cover, pull the fiber plates and check the specs. I would also pull the steels and see if there is any "Blueing" on them, which would be caused by them overheating (possibly due to slippage). I would also check to ensure they're not warped.

Before that... when the bike is bucking do the RPMs drop off, or do they rise?

((Could also be a bad TPS sensor. I had this happen on my 1K years ago, and it frustrated the hell out of me))

I don't think its the clutch because it would rev higher when slips but wouldn't go faster. Not my issue. Mine just doesn't want to rev. Maybe TPS? Restifier?

I don't think its the clutch because it would rev higher when slips but wouldn't go faster. Not my issue. Mine just doesn't want to rev. Maybe TPS? Restifier?

I doubt it's the rectifier... Do you have issue with starting the bike? (Other than the idle issue??)

The only thing that sucks about the TPS issue, mine tested fine every time. It wasn't until I swapped it out that I found out it was bad. (Granted it was an 01 GIX 1K).

I doubt it's the rectifier... Do you have issue with starting the bike? (Other than the idle issue??)

The only thing that sucks about the TPS issue, mine tested fine every time. It wasn't until I swapped it out that I found out it was bad. (Granted it was an 01 GIX 1K).

I guess ill be buying a new TPS. Gonna go raise my idle and report back.

Well the idle needs to be right anyway, but that's not causing this. You are turning the fast idle off after the bike warms up a little ?

Well the idle needs to be right anyway, but that's not causing this. You are turning the fast idle off after the bike warms up a little ?

I usually only use the choke to turn it on, then i turn the choke of right away. Would a cold engine cause this? I ride my gsxr 600 kinda hard after i just turn it on from cold. Never had an issue with it. Hayabusa any different?

No, these bikes are smooth. I might have missed it but what year and how many miles, any mods ? I'm still betting on fuel system because it sat so long. Was it stored with the tank full ?

Search for an online manual to check the following

1. Check to see if any vaccum hose are dissconnected under the tank.

2.Fuel pumps need to be checked for propery pressure and discharge amount.

3.If all check out fine backflush your Fuel injector flush. stock 03 busa injectors clogged

No, these bikes are smooth. I might have missed it but what year and how many miles, any mods ? I'm still betting on fuel system because it sat so long. Was it stored with the tank full ?

Its an 06 with 10k miles. It was stored with gas, yes. So i just went to the store and got some new oil and injector cleaner. Going to give that a shot. Guys i just rode the bike and it definitely sounds like a clutch issue. The noise is there when i rev the bike in neutral. When i pull in the clutch and rev the engine the clank is gone. Its a smooth rev. When clutch is out and i rev it, its as if the engine catches up to the clutch and it clunks. So i think there is to much play in the clutch, so when lever pressed in, the clutch is no longer like a solid part and the friction between plates takes the play and muffles it. Just my thoughts. Ill go rip it part once again. Ill try and post pics and video.

Do i need to have a little ball bearing between the push rods on the hayabusa? I know on my gsxr 600 i have a little ball bearing between the push rods.

Stop running it then. You may have a broken fiber or damaged clutch basket. Don't crank it and don't change the oil until you pull the clutch assembly and inspect everything. The clutch may have dried out some while it sat. If the clutch has been damaged the oil will probably have to be changed after the fix. Not an expert, just my thoughts.

Video doesn't work. But either way, like my first message said. Pull the clutch. You don't even have to drain the oil if u put it on the side stand.

Let us know how u make out bud.

Back