Help! Starter clutch went bad and now I need to replace the engine?

Rodrigueira

Registered
I've owned a 2001 Busa for the past 6 years. It has been very reliable. One day however I went to start it and it made a popping noise. I then waited 1 min and then once I tried again it would not crank, like if there was no battery juice but it did. The headlight and dash lights, fuel pump kicked in fine. I then attempted jumping starting and it made a loud gearing noise. I then attempted to push start and it would not start. I called the shop who tow it there and they called me a few days later saying that they got bad news. The clutch starter failed and it damaged the upper crank case and there's metal flakes all over and now I need to either rebuild or replace the engine. I've never heard anything like that before, not even in this forum. I was wondering what do you guys think. Is it possible?

If I need to replace the engine "with a used one" it will cost me close to $3k. On the other hand if I sell it like it is I may not even get $3k on it.

Wow, that is too bad. I am no mechanic but what the shop is telling you sounds plausible to me. I would think you would be hard pressed to get 3k out of a her with a blown motor. Maybe if you parted it out you could. Been seeing a lot of low mile good running older Gen 1's going for 4-5.5k last year and this year. If the bike is in great shape you may want to consider putting in a new motor. I would definitely shop around though.

Can be repaired. Happens more than you think.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It does happen but mostly on the 02's. It was common problem for that year. as for a repair i need to see pics or the motor with the covers removed.

This can happen 99 to 01 busas we have repaired many. Pull motor put on pallet and ship it to us. We can fix it and do 03 starter upgrade and you will be way under $3k and it won't happen again. You can pull motor ship it to us as core and we can sell you a knkwn good 2006 motor setup to go right I bike. Bolt and go.

^^^^^ Great guy to deal with. Got all my upgraded starter parts for my 2000 and he called to lend a hand to make sure it was installed correctly. Good dude!

99-02 busa has solid top gear, 03 up have a sprag release. when motor kicks back on start up, the pressure has nowhere to go so it binds solid gear and breaks the knub in case.

Thank you for all your replies. Sorry I didn't respond any sooner. I was just now able to get the fairing and the starter clutch cover and took some pix. What do you guys think?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

yep that's what they do,,it is repairable.
I like the sticker kit you have on there,,looks good reminds me of the 2011 white.

yep that's what they do,,it is repairable.
I like the sticker kit you have on there,,looks good reminds me of the 2011 white.

Thank you 1Bondoman. I was extremely worry as the labor to drop the engine and place a used one would have cost me $3k or more. All this troble for 1 inch of aluminum piece. I've done some more research in this Forum and located other similar incidents and people recommended to replace the starter clutch to the 2003 model or newer....Thank you for the compliment. You are correct. I got the decal kit from the Gen II Busa. The pearl white color is from the Lexus IS250. I will search for a local welder in the area and will let you guys know about it.

you need to let someone that has done the repair before do it. They take an old starter cover and cut a section out so they can bolt it with the pin in it,then weld around the pin.
Thank you 1Bondoman. I was extremely worry as the labor to drop the engine and place a used one would have cost me $3k or more. All this troble for 1 inch of aluminum piece. I've done some more research in this Forum and located other similar incidents and people recommended to replace the starter clutch to the 2003 model or newer....Thank you for the compliment. You are correct. I got the decal kit from the Gen II Busa. The pearl white color is from the Lexus IS250. I will search for a local welder in the area and will let you guys know about it.

pop it out put on a pallet and take to nearest forward air and ship to pdx terminal. we can fix damage and supply the new upgrade as it's more than just putting in a new starter clutch. if you want to go back with old stuff and chance it again, we have old style covers and gears in stock also..

pop it out put on a pallet and take to nearest forward air and ship to pdx terminal. we can fix damage and supply the new upgrade as it's more than just putting in a new starter clutch. if you want to go back with old stuff and chance it again, we have old style covers and gears in stock also..

Hi Golden Child, thank you for the offer. Unfortunately I am not that mechanic inclined to take the Engine out of the bike. I would have to pay for someone to tow it to a shop, then to the shop to take it out, place on a pallet and then ship it and once I get it back pay for the reverse procedure. I think it can be extremely costly. I am going to try to have someone to weld it and I will replace the whole starter clutch/motor with a newer than 03 model but again, thank you for offering to help.

I have the same problem went to start my Hayabusa yesterday and heard a load noise and making grinding noise from starter took it apart and it's all fudged up on my 2001 guess I need a new motor now

Back