Tire Puncture Repairs

Hey Guys,
I have a problem similar to the one discussed with respect to BusainSD’s bike. Got a small nail in my tire. And from reading the opinions in that regard, having a plug & patch dosent seem to be the best option at any speed over 80 miles/hr. Now very clearly in that case, it isn’t really an option for anyone with a Busa. Did a bit of looking around here in Bombay, and someone told me of a Spray (gel) that can be used to mend punctures caused by small nails. Now I don’t know how reliable this method would be, so I thought I’d just ask you guys for some opinions..
The way its done is -
1.You remove the nail from the tire.
2.You attach the head of the Can as per the threads provided to its release valve, to the valve tube of your tire and fix it on to the valve tube, by screwing it clockwise.
3. That’s it… after this, the can fills the tire with its contents which seal the puncture and also inflates the tire.
4. You are supposed to immediately ride it for a couple of kilometers to see that it has properly sealed the puncture. Then check the air pressure and top up, if necessary.

I don’t know if anyone uses such cans in the U.S. or Europe… but would appreciate a feedback. I Would also like to know if there is any other method to mend a tire puncture successfully, other than the gel and the plug and patch methods

I have only about 1500 Kms on the bike and so, am not too keen to trash the tire, if its not necessary. Moreover, its rather difficult to get a brand new tire for such bikes here. I will have to import it. So that’s another reason for not throwing the tire away, just yet. But then again, if it has to be done, I’ll go ahead and get the needful done. Coz I would rather be safe than sorry. So please do let me know

Yep, Green goo stuff, but it makes a mess out of the inside of your rim for the next tire change.I think it is sold here and called Slime, but its not something I would trust on a bike. Just my 02 cents though

A.B. Never heard of such stuff. I live in India, and have owned morethan a few imported bikes and sports cars... Always used plugs!! Good quality plugs, installed properly hold quite well....
smile.gif
Thats my experience....

wait let me get this striaght?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif

you do not want to plug patch because of the 85mph limit but a liquid is okay?
rock.gif
??

I am sorry you need to step away from the Busa and find a moped

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

Hey Guys,
I have a problem similar to the one discussed with respect  to BusainSD’s  bike.  Got a small nail in my tire. And from reading the opinions in that regard,  having a plug & patch dosent seem to be the best option at any speed over 80 miles/hr. Now very clearly in that case, it isn’t really an option for anyone with a Busa.  Did a bit of looking around here in Bombay,  and someone told me of a Spray (gel) that can be used to mend punctures caused by small nails.  Now I don’t know how reliable this method would be, so  I thought I’d  just ask you guys for some opinions..
The way its done is -  
1.You remove the nail from the tire.  
2.You attach the head of the Can as per the threads provided to its release valve, to the valve tube of your tire and fix it on to the valve tube, by screwing it clockwise.
3. That’s it… after this, the can fills the tire with its contents which seal the puncture  and also inflates the tire.
4. You are supposed to immediately ride it for a couple of kilometers to see that it has properly sealed the puncture. Then check the air pressure and top up, if necessary.

I don’t know if anyone uses such cans in the U.S. or Europe… but would appreciate a feedback.  I Would also like to know if there is any other method to mend a tire puncture successfully, other than the gel and  the plug and patch methods

I have only about 1500 Kms on the bike  and so, am not too keen to trash the tire, if its not necessary. Moreover, its rather difficult to get a brand new tire for such bikes here. I will have to import it. So that’s another reason for not throwing the tire  away, just yet.  But then again, if it has to be done, I’ll go ahead and get the needful done. Coz  I would rather be safe than sorry.  So please do let me know
Here's the way it's done, Properly!!!! BUY a NEW tire, GO to your trusted tire changer,have him dismount your punctured tire, mount and balance your new tire,you pay and thank him.,you go on your happy way., and nobody has to sweep your A.... up with a broom because you were too concerned about spending $100 on a tire for a $10,000 dollar bike.There, troll fed!!!!

I always pack a "can" of tire repair on a longer trip. Will not work on tubeless tires if they are right flat. I also pack a tubeless tire repair kit and I'm looking for a mini compressor to pack as well. It is really hard to get tubeless tires to seal once the bead is broke. You will most likely need to get the bike or wheel to a shop for repair.

I was stuck once on a lonely stretch of highway with a flat and that really sucks.

After all the input (and troll name-calling) that I received, it is a much better idea to buy a new tire. I also bought a tire changer & balancer while I was at it. I hate paying stealers to do something that I can do myself!! Get a new tire bro!!
wink.gif

Here's what I've done:

I've carried liquid sealers in the past for cars and bikes, and used it on both type of vehicle. It's definitely a last resort if you're stranded in the middle of nowhere and need to ride/drive it home.

One thing worth mentioning about the liquid sealants is they can cause the tire to go out of balance if the stuff doesn't "set" evenly around the inside of the tire. Also, like a "skinny" spare, you're not supposed to drive/ride fast on it, it's still supposed to be a temporary fix.

With tubeless bike tires, I'd definitely recommend you replace it with a new one ASAP. For the relatively small amount of money involved, it's not worth the risk.

Finally, if you're concerned about getting stuck with a flat (or a crash) consider investing in AAA coverage for your bike. They'll come out with the trailer and rescue you.

When it comes to cars and regular transpiration vehicles, plug it, patch it, whatever.

When it comes to performance vehicles. Dont mess around. replace the friggen tire.

I would not trust a patched, gooed or plugged tire on my Busa. it would hurt like crap to have to go out and but a new tire if you just punctured a new tire, but that is what is best.

I have no problems with using the spray goo if you are out somewhere and get a flat and need to get it back home.

But apart from that scenario. Just get a new tire. Even if the tire that is punctured is 1 day old. If the shop wont replace it for free, spend the bucks on a new one.

Did I mention just get a new tire?

Johnny & Nitrous - Guys guys … guys..! I have not used the spray.. Just wanted to get some facts straight…before I did anything. I guess, I should have also mentioned that this is my first bike with tubeless tires and further, that this is the first time I have had a flat on my bike. Anyway, I am very clear about the facts now… so I guess I’ll just stick with my Busa… and skip the moped
smile.gif

Busain- I know that you had a similar problem. I also understand that the name calling, is for my own good… maybe to ensure that I don’t end up doing something silly.. So no hard feelings about that. I will get myself a new tire.

DAB & Thrasher – Agree completely that the Plugs, patches and liquid sealants are a temperory fix. Although , it would be wise to carry some puncture kits, to avoid being stranded in an emergeny, I agree, that on a Busa it would be best to replace the tires.

Clrwtrbusa, Old Guy and Shenoyp… thanx for your inputs.
Shenoyp.. man.. howz the scene in mysore.. Bombay is buzzing with bikes of late..!

Anyway, thanks for all the opinions.
Will get myself a new tire.

Do what you have to, to get yourself and the bike home, then get a new tire ASAP!!! Its not worth your life or someone innocent that you might clip when your tire blows out on one of those famous Busa Top End Runs!!! Oh, and welcome to the board, sorry about the troll thing, just giving a little of what I got when I was brand new to the board. Drive safe! NJ.:)

Back