Engine Knock

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
Bought a 2003 in August last year and have had no problems with it . . .

. . . except . . .

Over the last couple of months, about 7,000- 8,000 miles on the bike, it developed a nasty knocking in the engine. It seemed to only happen when it was completely warmed up and idling, regardless of whether the clutch was in or out. It was shut a jarring knock, I could actually feel it in the handlebars!

Tried running racing fuel in it and that didn't help even a little bit.

Took it to the dealer and the svce mgr couldn't even hear it! I don't know if they are used to that kind of thing or not but I sincerely hope not.

However, the mechanic who got his hands on it listened and made a couple of suggestions.

When I went to pick it up later in the day, he told me that the four throttle bodies need to be adjusted and balanced at idle speeds. Something to do with the vacuum lines or something like that. I don't recall the exact details.

HOWEVER, problem solved! There is no more knocking goin' on!

Damn that's nice!

--Wag--

Essentially what you have are four 1 cylinder motors with a common crankshaft ... if you have one of those four motors trying to idle at 1500 rpm and the other three at 1000 rpm you will have the situation that you have experienced, you can get a set of vacuum adjusters pretty reasonable, just dont rev the motor with them hooked up and suck the fluid(mercury?) into the motor. I dont think they use mercury any more, but I could be wrong.

Back