Choke not responding

Greek_Busa

Registered
Hello guys,
I have a 2002, blue-silver Busa.
I got a littl problem with my choke.
When I'm pulling it down, it adds nothing to the engine revs except a mere 500 rpm.
Also, you cannot feel any kind of resistance pulling it down as I was feeling before the problem, so what do you think? Is the wire loose?
In the other hand the bike has no problem starting even after 5 cold days! Maybe is the choke stuck open?

What do you think?

Uh, its working! Its actually just a manual fast idle instead of a choke.:;):

Exactly what nj said~ I gotta think it's working fine~ A lot of peeps mistake it for a 'choke' but all it really does is hold your throttle open a little more until you feel it's warm enough to roll...
cool.gif

Its a fast idle to warm up the bike. You can raise the tank and adjust it you if want 2000-2500 rpm should be about right.
wink.gif

I know that's a fast idle and not a real choke and raising the tank I think that you adjust the main idle by winding that screw in the middle. Is there a way to adjust the fast idle seperately?
Propably the fast idle cable is kinda disconected or loosened. Do you know where that cable ends under the tank so I can check it out?

Yes it is not a chock but you should still get 2k more when you use it. The cable may be loose.

Can you use the Busa's "choke" as a cruise control?
Will it affect the bike in any way?
When I am cruising at 80mph, I am at 4000pms or a little over, the fast idle only sits around 2000rpms at an idle. I have heard of people adjusting it to work as a cruise control. Personally, I am not sure how it would work. It shouldn't hurt the bike at all.

Black&Bluebusa thanks for the scans.
Is there a 99-00 manual?
How come -according to the manual- you adjust the idle speed without lifting the fuel tank?

I had a similar problem with mine. After repeated idle adjustments to compensate for the idle speed dropping, the fast idle adjuster became ineffective. I found that I now had the main idle adjuster set to where the fast idle adjuster didn't do anything even though the main idle was 1,100-1,200. I reshaped the bracket that holds the fast idle adjuster slightly and now it works again.

Ed

Thank you Ed,
I think we both faced the same problem.
I also was adjusting the main idle quite often (about every 500-1000 miles) to compensate the main idle drop, till one day, (now I have 5000 miles on the bike) the fast idle starting giving me only 200 revs more.

Can you please describe me with some more detail what you mean by saying "I reshaped the bracket that holds the fast idle adjuster slightly", so I'll be able to do it myself?
What model year is your bike? Mine is 2002.

I gently bent the bracket that holds the fast idle cam, the eccentric that bears against the throttle bellcrank as the fast idle lever is moved.  I initally tried adjusting the cable but it is very hard to get a tool onto that adjuster and when you do, many turns yield very little change, so I bent the bracket holding that adjuster back (toward the rear of the bike) a little with a needle-nose plier.  In this case, by the way, a little goes a long way.

Mine is an '03 with 6,700 miles on it.

Ed

<!--EDIT|EdC
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107524452 -->

Back