strange engine sound..need help..thanks

1300hemibusa

Registered
I have 350 miles on the new busa and last night after a 120 mile ride i'm hearing a strange sound ..The sound is like a popping sound or a gurgle... This happens when you blip the throttle at idle to 2000 to 2500 rpms .. It doesn't do it on acell just on decell. On decel i'm hearing kind of a pop pop pop pop untill it reaches idle again.. If you blip the throttle to 3500 rpms you don't hear it on decell .. This sound is not coming from the mufflers, it seems to be coming from the front of the engine... It does kind of sounds like a exhaust popping on decell but i don't hear it at the back of the bike .. I have not before heard this sound till last night .. The only thing i have done is change the oil before i went out last night ...I did add a little to much oil, it's above the sight glass.. The book said 3.7 of oil and that about what i put in ..Did i put to much oil in causing extra crank case pressure? The engine ran great last night, i was able to hit 180 mph once and a few times i took it up to 140 mph.. I'm worried that i damaged the engine ... Any Input would be great ...Thanks Lee..

Up Date ...Today i drained 1/2 Qt of oil out of the crank case...Now the level of the oil is at the top line ..I started the motor and i can't hear the popping sound ...I hope that was all is was ...Any thoughts let me know...Lee..

What mods have you made or is the bike stock
rock.gif

I wouldn't think that being a 1/2 quart over would cause that noise. Might be just that its the first time you cranked her up and she hiccuped a couple of times. If the noise is gone I wouldn't worry about it.
wink.gif

sounds like you found it. Just keep an open ear for a while to make sure.

180 mph ?
sounds like your breakin her in fine
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|fritch1969
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107669471 -->

a hard breakin is a good thing, first I ever heard of a gurgling noise though? Sorry I can't be of more help.

Yeah, first time I have heard of something like that. I dont think having some excess oil in the reservoir is going to increase the oil pressure. Anyway, now that the problem is sorted, why worry
tounge.gif

Back