ENGINE STALLING ON QUICK DE-CELLERATION

tdrcomm

Donating Member
Registered
Lately I've noticed that my engine will stall when I come to a quick stop, rapid de-celleration from riding, to a full stop. Even when I blip the throttle on quick downshifting it will start to stall then come back to life. If it stalls completely I just open the clutch slightly while rolling and it starts up again like a push start, but I want to fix this. Fuel pump or filter?

You could start checking the fuel filter, from there you should check the idle. Mine's was doing the same but once I adjusted the idle the stalling was all gone.

Thanks guys. I adjusted the idle this morning before I left for work. Tried a few hard stops and it seems to have done the trick. Gonna check the fuel filter anyway, though.

The problem was the idle was too low. When it is set too low and you chop the throttle it starves the engine and stalls it.
wink.gif

same thing started to happen to me about a month ago(3 months after i got it new). i adjusted the idle and it completely stopped.........i know it's beens said, but i just want to ad my 2 pennies just to show this is a common problem, nothing serious.

I had this on my 99, so to get rid of this before you ruin your pump, This is due to a dirty fuel filter, So replace it and clean your gas lines all the way to the injectors. The fuel hoses we have are prone to kinking and if the fuel filter is clogged. Both filters, the one on the tank drain and the one inside the pump need to be cleaned and the one in the pump replaced. Then replaced our thin fuel lines with marine fuel lines, which you can get at any marine supplier or
www.westmarine.com You need about 2 ft of fire alco model 350 3/8 inch hose, about $6 total. This will save you a $200 fuel pump and getting stranded on the road. Believe me I was about to sell mine bacause I couldn't get it to run for more than a few miles.

If you don't replace the fuel lines the increased flow from a clean filter will kink the fuel lines and ruin the fuel pump. This is the reason 2001 one and newer have in tank pumps, WHihc eliminate hoses under vacuum.

I had this on my 99, so to get rid of this before you ruin your pump,  This is due to a dirty fuel filter,  So replace it and clean your gas lines all the way to the injectors.  The fuel hoses we have are prone to kinking and if the fuel filter is clogged. Both filters, the one on the tank drain and the one inside the pump need to be cleaned and the one in the pump replaced.  Then replaced our thin fuel lines with marine fuel lines, which you can get at any marine supplier or
www.westmarine.com  You need about 2 ft of fire alco model 350 3/8 inch hose, about $6 total.  This will save you a $200 fuel pump and getting stranded on the road.  Believe me I was about to sell mine bacause I couldn't get it to run for more than a few miles.  

If you don't replace the fuel lines the increased flow from a clean filter will kink the fuel lines and ruin the fuel pump.  This is the reason 2001 one and newer have in tank pumps, WHihc eliminate hoses under vacuum.
Great! I've got some time off this Friday. First thing I'm gonna do. The idle adjustment stopped the problem but better to be safe than sorry (or stranded)
smile.gif
. I also had some problems with engine dying and kicking back in at speed a couple of months ago, but when I had my 7000 mile service it cleared up. You think that could be the problem as well?

Once you drain your tank it shoudn't be that difficult to do this yourself. Everything is accesible with the tank off and you just need to check if anything is dirty. my bike went through 2 different mechanics and still left me stranded. So juast go ahead take the fuel system out see if it everything is clean from the pump forward. Clean up the fuel petcock. and repalce the fuel line with the marine hoses they are thicker so as to withstand the suction and the kinking. check out west marine.com shields fire alco 350 3/8 hose 2 ft long 6-7 dolars and a few hours cleaning will save you a bundle. Keep the tank full, and rubber side down. that's it

The Busa has a habit of the idle dropping over a few months/miles

U can use the "Choke" for a short term fix until you pull the tank.

Ive been having the same stalling problem with my 05 busa. I am not sure though how to adjust the idle. If anyone could let me know id apopreciate it. also what should the bike idle at when in neutral.

thanks

tilt the tank back. the idle screw is on the right side of the fuel injection right at the throttle cables. Pulling the air box will make it easier, but I dont think you have to.

If idle does not fix, which it did...it may be a vaccum leak...just for anyone doing a search....glad the idle fixed it....Had mine doing that and then I set the idle to around 1150-1200

Just for info purposes, when I blipped the throttle on my 05 with clutch in, the RPMs would sometimes drop to the 900-1000 range and the engine would almost die, the oil light even came on momentarily once and she stalled. My idle was at 1050 RPM at this time. Adjusted idle up to 1200 RPM which cured the problem. Now RPMs only drop to 1100 when throttle is blipped.

Had my bike stalling with a low idle as well....and recently my pipe was popping on decel at about 3K it would shoot a flame out, this was at an idle of around 950....bumped it up to 1200 and no more backfires....weird....

I had the same problem when the bike was really hot and coming down from high speeds. Didnt happen all the time but I put the idle up to 1250 and was fine. When I fitted a TRE it seemed to run much smoother and quieter.( You have to admit they aint quiet) Its worth the $30 just for that. Ebay is best if you want one although I havent tried the top speed yet and probably never will.

it would shoot a flame out
mmmm sounds interesting...

almost mod worthy...
Not really a mod, just take the idle down around 900 and that is when the bike pops on decel....at least 2-3 pops when coming to a stop around 2-3K rpm....nice flames too....May drop the idle back down because I kind of miss it, but the bike is definitely smoother on acceleration when the idle is correct....

Back