What's up with my speedometer?

Kevin, I couldn't get the video to work. But by the way you described it, it could possibly be the battery. I have had cars in the past do that and it was the battery. I don't know about bikes though. Worth a shot if you can test it.

Nope, probably not the battery. Sounds like the sprocket/clutch cover that holds the speed sensor is workin' loose... or maybe just the sensor it's self is loose... or bad. Check these bolts ASAP so you don't loose 'em out if that's what it is! Had that happen on Train. Does the clutch also feel kinda funky, as in havin' to pull the lever in further to get the clutch to work? That's another symptom of the cover bein' loose...

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105901474 -->

speedsensorrepairhighlt.jpg

Yeah, I just watched the video. Mine started like that and progressively got worse until it finally just stopped workin' altogether. When mine was no worse than yours is in the video I hadn't noticed the clutch being different yet. Check the cover and sensor bolts... If everything is tight check the connections in the speed sensor cable. If that's good I'm thinkin' bad sensor...
wink.gif

Yeah, I just watched the video. Mine started like that and progressively got worse until it finally just stopped workin' altogether. When mine was no worse than yours is in the video I hadn't noticed the clutch being different yet. Check the cover and sensor bolts... If everything is tight check the connections in the speed sensor cable. If that's good I'm thinkin' bad sensor...
wink.gif
Thanks, I'll check them now. I haven't noticed any problems with the clutch. I'll let you know what I find.

Kevin

I this my speed sensor, if so, I noticed that it appears to have neatly wrapped electrical tape toward the bottom. Did I get a rigged bike that I assumed was new?

Kevin

100_0529.JPG

My sensor did NOT have electrical tape on it ANYWHERE as you can see in my pic. Did you buy your bike new? You sure it ain't some sort of wrapping the factory done?
rock.gif

make sure and check the sprocket cover too . My cover was cracked at the top bolt caused by the speedo pick-up bolt on the counter shaft backing out. This caused the speedo to bounce up and down while riding (inaccurate signal to the speedo).

So what was it Kevin?
rock.gif
I've been working until late each night so far this week, no time to take it in yet. It stopped all together for a while Sunday afternoon but then that evening it was intermittant again.
Man, I'd lose feeling in my legs if something was wrong with my bike for this long!
laugh.gif
wink.gif
Maybe you'll catch a break and get around to it soon. Hey, if you want to send it up and leave it with me a couple of weeks I could sort out the speedo issue and detail it for ya.
biggrin.gif

So what was it Kevin?
rock.gif
I've been working until late each night so far this week, no time to take it in yet. It stopped all together for a while Sunday afternoon but then that evening it was intermittant again.
Man, I'd lose feeling in my legs if something was wrong with my bike for this long!
laugh.gif
wink.gif
Maybe you'll catch a break and get around to it soon. Hey, if you want to send it up and leave it with me a couple of weeks I could sort out the speedo issue and detail it for ya.
biggrin.gif
How much would shipping cost me from zip code 90505 to your place BT? I need a real good detailing on her especially when I get my?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
???

Kev, have you also tried to reset the computer or should I say disconnect the battery for about 10min & reconnect?

rock.gif

rock.gif

So what was it Kevin?
rock.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
How much would shipping cost me from zip code 90505 to your place BT? I need a real good detailing on her especially when I get my?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
???

Kev, have you also tried to reset the computer or should I say disconnect the battery for about 10min & reconnect?
Lol... Never shipped a bike so I wouldn't even know where to start.
wink.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

wink.gif

So, ummmm... Did you?
rock.gif
rock.gif
Maybe..

I just dropped it off, by the time I got there my clutch started acting funny. The service manager and my salesman both came out and the salesman noticed right away that the cover was cracked. It must have cracked all the way through on the way there and that is why the clutch was being wierd.

I guess I'll be without the bike for a few days, oh well, there is always my wife's ninja 250.
sad.gif
smile.gif

rock.gif

Back