Head pipes turn red

6gear

Registered
When I start my bike and let it idle for a few minutes the exhaust pipes coming out of the head turn red. What causes this?

Sounds like your bike is running lean, causing hot pipes. Where is the temp gauge when this happens?
I don't let the bike run long enough for the engine temp to read much of anything. I have a Yosh comp. system, BMC air filter and a Power commander. I am not exactely sure what the map # is something like 004 or #4, I got it from Power Commanders web site it looked to be the one best suited for my mods. According to a dyno run I may be a little lean at low rpm's (around 13.0-13.5) and a little on the rich side at high rpm's (around 12.0). Is there a map that can correct my problems?

According to a dyno run I may be a little lean at low rpm's (around 13.0-13.5) and a little on the rich side at high rpm's (around 12.0). Is there a map that can correct my problems?
Just a little confused.

If you had it on a dyno, why didn’t you get it tuned properly while it was there. It just seems a waste.

No downloaded map will ever suit your bike exactly.

Spend the money. Do it once, do it right and ride away happy.

Cheers
Ross

According to a dyno run I may be a little lean at low rpm's (around 13.0-13.5) and a little on the rich side at high rpm's (around 12.0). Is there a map that can correct my problems?
Just a little confused.

If you had it on a dyno, why didn’t you get it tuned properly while it was there. It just seems a waste.

No downloaded map will ever suit your bike exactly.

Spend the money. Do it once, do it right and ride away happy.

Cheers
Ross
Exactly what I was going to say. Seriously, give JohnnyCheese a shout.

The people that had the Dyno were somewhat inexperienced in tuning and thought that it would take a lot of work for minimal results. My bike has been like this for over a year, it runs fine and it seldom idles for over a few minutes at a time, so no big complaints other than I don't like seeing the head pipes turn red after some idleing time.

When I start my bike and let it idle for a few minutes the exhaust pipes coming out of the head turn red. What causes this?
Do you still have your P.A.I.R. system operative?

An aftermarket header uses a thinner, single wall construction while the factory construction is, I believe, double wall. If you're injecting air into the exhaust, the continuing combustion will cause the thin, single wall primaries to glow red.

Steve

Sounds like your bike is running lean, causing hot pipes. Where is the temp gauge when this happens?
Still in the dash panel, I would guess...
wink.gif

Steve

This may not be helpful either but mine does it too. BDE street smart system and brock map. Fire in the pipe is the cause. Lean exhaust rich exhaust late timing. I would bet on rich exhaust in my case.

Where is the temp gauge when this happens?
wink.gif

Steve
Steve, that's not very helpful.....

biggrin.gif

I'd mount some marshmallows in front of the pipes and get something useful out of the issue.
laugh.gif

Then you would have loved what I originally posted in response to 6gear's question but changed at the last minute lest I appear a complete smartass...

To his question:
When I start my bike and let it idle for a few minutes the exhaust pipes coming out of the head turn red. What causes this? [/QUOTE]
I answered:

Heat.
poke.gif

Steve

AUGHTSIX, I am still using the PAIR. And I would like to say thanks for everyone's help, it sounds to me like maybe I don't have any serious problems

Whatz the idle set @ 5000 rpm ?

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104623346 -->

AUGHTSIX,  I am still using the PAIR. And I would like to say thanks for everyone's help, it sounds to me like maybe I don't have any serious problems
While perhaps not a 'serious' problem per se, I wouldn't allow the condition to continue for the obvious reason of excessive radiated heat - the factory pipes don't glow red and I would guess whatever is in the immediate area wasn't originally intended to cope with the extra radiated heat coming from glowing red primaries.

Steve

Also 6gear, I would really tend to doubt that a lean condition would cause the primaries to glow red. I think you can rule that out pretty handily.

Steve

I would say that it is running a little a idle. Get a custom map all bikes are a little different.

Where is the temp gauge when this happens?
wink.gif

Steve
Steve, that's not very helpful.....

biggrin.gif

I'd mount some marshmallows in front of the pipes and get something useful out of the issue.
laugh.gif

Then you would have loved what I originally posted in response to 6gear's question but changed at the last minute lest I appear a complete smartass...

To his question:
I answered:

Heat.  
poke.gif

Steve[/QUOTE]
tounge.gif

We're going to end up in the principal's office if we keep this up...

Make sure your t bodies and air box is tight, it could be sucking air in that it shouldnt be getting after the sensors. My 1397 motor is glowing only on the #1 cylinder, so I'm gonna check all my clamps again. Also a t body sync might be needed too. I know when I start syincing carbs and t bodies, pipes will glow til I get them close to specs.

Back