Motor softly clunking on idle...should I be worried?

BanditKing

Registered
Hi guys.

Meaning to post this question for awhile.

When my Busa is at idle, I notice a soft "clunk-clunk-clunk" every 5-10 seconds.
It's been going on for awhile, and I've been told that all motors have a bit of "character" and this is mine.
I don't notice anything once I start opening up the throttle.

It rev's up smoothly and there seems to be no loss of power, etc.

The engine itself is stock (except the Airbox and PAIR mod's). The cam chain has been checked.

The only other issue with my Busa is poor mileage (averaging 27.4, but I like to open her up regularly) and some black smoke of hard acceleration (after dropping it a gear or two).

Wheeler dyno-tuned it and it's putting out 160 or so RWHP, iirc.

So should I be concerned???
Where do you guys think this noise is coming from?

Hi guys.

Meaning to post this question for awhile.

When my Busa is at idle, I notice a soft "clunk-clunk-clunk" every 5-10 seconds.
It's been going on for awhile, and I've been told that all motors have a bit of "character" and this is mine.
I don't notice anything once I start opening up the throttle.

It rev's up smoothly and there seems to be no loss of power, etc.

I'm no expert but from what I've read here it's normal. Mine does it too.

The engine itself is stock (except the Airbox and PAIR mod's). The cam chain has been checked.

The only other issue with my Busa is poor mileage (averaging 27.4, but I like to open her up regularly) and some black smoke of hard acceleration (after dropping it a gear or two).

Don't know about black smoke but maybe a little less WOT might fix that! :rofl:

My '00 does that when it's cold. Turn the fast idle knob and turn up the revs a little to about 1200-1500 and it goes away.

I've asked this one before too, and was told it's my clutch basket.

The '08 is brand new & doesn't do that.

I'm no expert but from what I've read here it's normal. Mine does it too.

Don't know about black smoke but maybe a little less WOT might fix that! :rofl:
Like Tim said the clunking is the clutch...its typical for gen1 busa's. And the low mpg and black smoke is from a rich condition. Check your air filter....an old plugged filter will do that......or an over-oiled K&N or BMC.

Then maybe think about adding an exhaust and pc and getting it tuned. You could get a pc for it stock and get it tuned for better mileage and running, but if you're going to do that might as well get a used or on sale exhaust as well. Your mileage will go up and your bike will gain a VERY noticeable bump in power and BIG weight loss :thumbsup:
Or you can leave her alone and enjoy as is :laugh:

There's a difference between testing and tuning. 27 M.P.G. and black smoke ....... You have issues Air / Fire / Fuel. Sounds like you're getting the fuel.

Back