Oil Leak

Renegaderrjr

Registered
I have a question. I just bought a o7 from a guy and he told me the O ring gasket in the plug needed to be changed because it has a slow leak. I never replaced mine in my o7 1000, but have heard of it. But my buddy sent me a picture of a quarter sized puddle from a week of sitting in his garage and said its coming from higher than the plug. Could this possibly be leaking from the filter? Is there an O ring gasket there that the guy was maybe talking about?

Back story is I'm in Afghanistan and haven't actually seen or ridden it. My buddy has and checked it out for me as far as making sure it rode good and nothing cosmetic and no obvious engine problems, and the guy straight up told me it needed the part. Just wondering where it may be from if its higher than the plug.

There should be an o-ring on the oil filter (make sure it's only one, but one should be there).

The fill plug also has a crush washer on it. Mine never had issues until the first time I went to change it. The OEM washer they gave me would not crush under 17 ft/lbs of torque (if I remember correctly that is what it called for but could be wrong) and I did not want to torque it tighter so I went and got synthetic washers from O-reilly's and they work great. Been using them ever since and they seal up very well.

So I talked to my buddy last night, and after another week of sitting in the garage, no puddle. :cheerleader: Leads me to believe the original one found was truly from the drain plug when he test rode it. Fingers crossed.

Back