Electrical Problem

Dino

VERITAS - AEQUITAS
Donating Member
Registered
Went to start my 07 yesterday, turned on the ignition, engine cut of to on, pressed starter, got about one second of what a normal start up would sound like then nothing. Like there was no battery connected at all. Strange because it was running fine two days prior. Tried to jump it and got the panel to light up and the starter to turn a little but not enough to kick it over. Called for a tow and the AAA guy have a portable jumper, hooked it up and got it to start but it died as soon as the lead from the jumper was removed. A couple times while turning the ignition on and off I got the panel to light up but it would die as soon as I turned the engine cut off switch to "on".

Any ideas?

m_ridgeway? The greatest paratrooper ever? :thumbsup:

Thanks, I have the battery on a charger now. Will not seem to fully charge…

take it to a auto parts store and have them test it. You might be in need of a new battery. but I'd start there. GL

I had two of those yellow batterys pashnit sells die within a year because my rectifier connector wasnt getting a good connection which didnt charge them well. Sounds like a really dead battery. If voltage falls below a certain point the bike shuts off. If you can charge the battery back up, put it back on and try to start it and see what the idle voltage is on the battery

Went to start my 07 yesterday, turned on the ignition, engine cut of to on, pressed starter, got about one second of what a normal start up would sound like then nothing. Like there was no battery connected at all. Strange because it was running fine two days prior. Tried to jump it and got the panel to light up and the starter to turn a little but not enough to kick it over. Called for a tow and the AAA guy have a portable jumper, hooked it up and got it to start but it died as soon as the lead from the jumper was removed. A couple times while turning the ignition on and off I got the panel to light up but it would die as soon as I turned the engine cut off switch to "on".

Any ideas?
99.9% of the time if a bike starts acting weird out of the clear blue, coming off of winter storage, with no battery tender kept on it, its a bad battery. A bike battery will drain down badly sitting over the winter, and one good drain like that can quite often damage the battery for good.

Every spring we get all these threads about guys tearing their bikes apart trying to find the answer to the weird electrical gremlins....when its just a bad battery. If you haven't put any electrical add ons lately, or had your bike wiring apart, its a battery issue. Get a battery tender and keep the bike plugged in whenever you're not riding it and you'll get 8 years and going strong on you're original battery like me and many others on here get.

Or skip the battery tender and put a 100 dollar battery in it every year or 2 :laugh:

And also your busa won't charge a dead battery with a jump start and cruising it around at low rpms for half an hour or so. You need to FULLY charge the battery BEFORE you ride the bike....older bikes would run with a dead battery or no battery at all. The new breed of all electronic fuel-injected bikes won't run with low voltage out of a weak battery, and you'll get all sorts of weird symptoms.

We need to make this a sticky, we get one of these questions every day come springtime. The search function can be a very good thing :thumbsup:

PS you're battery won't seem to take a charge on the charger because its no good, thats why you're bike won't run. Get a tender and new battery and keep it plugged in :beerchug:

I have been riding all spring. Did 850 miles with my son a week ago with no issue. I also keep it on a battery tender if I am not going to ride for a week or so.

I have been riding all spring. Did 850 miles with my son a week ago with no issue. I also keep it on a battery tender if I am not going to ride for a week or so.

thats the way batteries go though it seems. one day theyre good one day theyre bad. i'd at least check the battery. if it doesnt seem to be the battery then get the service manual and run through their charging troubleshooting section. its the easiest way to diagnose things without just guessing and buying unneccessary things

Well reading all your post. Charge the battery, get it load tested. If it passes the load test start looking at the charging system. Pretty easy if you have any electrical back ground at all. But if you don't, it's still pretty easy if you can barrow a voltmeter. There have been Gen I rectifier connection issues. You might just have a loose or melted connector.

If all your connections or corrosion free and tight then.....
Enternal short in the battery.,.. Time to buy a battery. Ya can charge it till dooms day, ya can do the battery dance around your bike, you can cuss it, ya can fiddly fuk around with some idiot at Autozone. If you want to ride and resolve the issue, buy a Yuasa Battery and a Battery Tender or float charger and use them. End of the day put the battery on charge.

I am thinking it may be the ignition switch when I turn the key sometimes I get power, sometimes I don't. Battery recharged fine, still need to load test. Thanks.

I am thinking it may be the ignition switch when I turn the key sometimes I get power, sometimes I don't. Battery recharged fine, still need to load test. Thanks.

there was a recall on the 08 about the ignition switch harness being routed so that when it was turned it caused the power to cut off. you may have a similar issue even though its an 07.

Thanks, troubleshooting thus far points to a problem with the ignition switch. Looking at problems and a loss of connectivity in the switch seem to confirm the switch is at least part of the issue. They may be more problems but switching the ignition switch will be the first fix.

Take switch apart and spray contact cleaner.....just a thought.

Back