02' Busa Transmission issue - Any techs out there, this ones for you.

kometmotor

Registered
I am working on an 02' Busa that came in with an issue where it would not shift into 2nd gear. I had heard of problems with the transmissions on these and decided to remove the trans. Nothing looked horrible for a bike with 31K on it, but I sent the trans to Carolina Cycle and had them back cut the gears and go through the whole thing. I also got their billet steel shift fork shafts. After re-assembly, the trans will shift well while on the rack without it running, but when you put power to it, the shifts are very hard, as in very difficult to shift through the gears. It takes about 5 times the pressure at the shifter to get it to engage the different gears on up-shift. Downshifts seem fine. The 1-2 shift is the only one that does not need added pressure to shift. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have a feeling the engine is coming back out.

Sounds like a bent shift fork!
Or the shifter drum is badly worn!

The forks and drum were inspected and tested at the same time the trans was done at Carolina Cycle. The gear change fork on the shifter shaft is new, along with the shift gear on the end of the drum.

DO you have good spring pressure on the arm at the end of the drum?
How where the needle bearing that the drum rolls on?
The forks and drum were inspected and tested at the same time the trans was done at Carolina Cycle. The gear change fork on the shifter shaft is new, along with the shift gear on the end of the drum.

Spring was new as well. Bearings were inspected along with the drum while at Carolina Cycle. Believe me, I'm beating my head against the wall with the one.

Did Carolina Cycle do the job and split the cases?
If so sounds like they are responsible!
Spring was new as well. Bearings were inspected along with the drum while at Carolina Cycle. Believe me, I'm beating my head against the wall with the one.

No. I am a shop owner and have been servicing motorcycles for 12 years now. I split the cases and sent the trans and all associated parts to them. This is the first time I have come across a problem like this. I have built dozens of engines in the past few years and this one has me puzzled. I posted this to see if any Suzuki tech have ever come across this type of issue. Just thought I would get any ideas before I pull the engine again and pull it apart.

Well there are 2 needle bearing that remain in the case, so did you look there?
If the tranny shop did what they said, then i couldn't not tell with out measurering, and inspect the the complete motor.
No. I am a shop owner and have been servicing motorcycles for 12 years now. I split the cases and sent the trans and all associated parts to them. This is the first time I have come across a problem like this. I have built dozens of engines in the past few years and this one has me puzzled. I posted this to see if any Suzuki tech have ever come across this type of issue. Just thought I would get any ideas before I pull the engine again and pull it apart.

Also has this motor ever been dismantled before you?

Back