03 Busa overheating

airtonybusa

Registered
Bike was getting hot in traffic. I took the thermostat out then ordered a low temp fan switch then changed radiator still same chit. Then put old radiator back then added a second fan and after all that when i get into traffic it goes hot on me still. My mech said pump is good so he flushed it with a hose for a while and then it stooped. Rode for few month and all good. Bike sat out side for 6 month. Now it's doing same thing again.When i ride it's all good temp stays lower then half mark. But after few minutes in traffic gauge goes up while my friends busa next to me doesn't. Huum? I hear the fans come on but temp still climbs. WTF???

Last edited:
I had the same problem changed the therm , the temp switch, The sensor still had the problem mine is a ground problem so I just wired a switch to the fan so I can decide when to run it and it perfect for me before I had the problem the fan would wait till it almost overheated before it turned on.

What's happening to your overflow bottle when it's getting hot? Is the level rising?

Last time around it did and i used to hear water boiling this time i did not let it get that hot but no boiling now that i think about it. and no i did not check water level in overflow but what am i looking for?

Last time around it did and i used to hear water boiling this time i did not let it get that hot but no boiling now that i think about it. and no i did not check water level in overflow but what am i looking for?

It sounds like you have an air pocket. Lean the bike over as far to the left and right as possible.

When I cleaned and refilled my radiator, that was the issue, and the remedy to fix it.

yes it's true but i put in a low temp switch that kicks in at 190 not 215 and did not want reg switch. It's a show bike but if that what will fix this sounds easy enough. I will take it to a local shop and hope they find the problem.

I guess it don't matter then. ??? i will get someone to give me a hand because it's heavy and don't feel like dropping it. Thanks for the tip!!

By any chance does anyone know how the water pump operates ? And can there be blockages in the motor from just sitting ??

check the condition of the wires going into the plug for the temp sensor, try running engine ice it helps ALOT, burp the system it may take a couple tries... let it run sitting still and see when on the temp gauge the fan kicks on if it kicks on at all, take your radiator cap in and have it pressure tested believe it or not that can cause alot of problems

i put engine ice last Aug. The bike was running good but i left it for 6 month and now same problem again. Maybe air may be cap just don't know but will try to burp it today with a friend.

i put engine ice last Aug. The bike was running good but i left it for 6 month and now same problem again. Maybe air may be cap just don't know but will try to burp it today with a friend.

take your cap to autozone they can test it for you.. if the system cannot build up pressure the cooling system doesnt work correctly thats why air pockets effect the cooling system so much because the air compresses differently than the coolant

I just remembered that last time when it would overheat my mechanic would ref it to 5000rmps and it would cool down instantly or if i was to go about 15-25mph temp would drop right a way. not this time i was in traffic yesterday and tried to rev it and no diff. Shut it of and five min later all good again.

I just remembered that last time when it would overheat my mechanic would ref it to 5000rmps and it would cool down instantly or if i was to go about 15-25mph temp would drop right a way. not this time i was in traffic yesterday and tried to rev it and no diff. Shut it of and five min later all good again.

id deffinately say thats an air pocket.. revving the rpm's up is just spinning the water pump at a higher speed which flows more coolant

Does the bike have a drain plug or what would be the way to burp it as i tried leaning it back and forth 3 times very low with two buddys and it still not right. will check cap before anything else. Went ridding yesterday got to a busy intersection and saw temp started to climb. fans kicked in but temp was higher then half and on my bike it's to high as it never goes past half. I have no thermostat and 190 degree fan switch. So i just turned of to a side street and few seconds later and about 150 feet all back to normal.

Does the bike have a drain plug or what would be the way to burp it as i tried leaning it back and forth 3 times very low with two buddys and it still not right. will check cap before anything else. Went ridding yesterday got to a busy intersection and saw temp started to climb. fans kicked in but temp was higher then half and on my bike it's to high as it never goes past half. I have no thermostat and 190 degree fan switch. So i just turned of to a side street and few seconds later and about 150 feet all back to normal.

That is just airflow cooling it down. You're not out of the woods yet young Padawan.

Here are a few thing to check (or change).

Busa swallowed ice cubes 019.jpgBusa swallowed ice cubes 021.jpgBusa swallowed ice cubes 022.jpgBusa swallowed ice cubes 025.jpgBusa swallowed ice cubes 015.jpg

Busa swallowed ice cubes 019.jpg

Busa swallowed ice cubes 021.jpg

Busa swallowed ice cubes 022.jpg

Busa swallowed ice cubes 025.jpg

Busa swallowed ice cubes 015.jpg

Back