oil cooler leak :(

phil823

Registered
was out riding on a short road trip....started smelling oil and white plumes behind me! i managed to get it home after checking the obvious (oil filter and oil drain plug)

turned out my Oil Cooler, left side of bike, facing the headers, right after the first flange, there is a leak in the upper part.. ;(

not sure what to do, don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a NEW one, and don't want to get stuck with buying another used one and have it also have this issue.

i ended up taking the cooler to a drag racing radiator shop who said they can fix aluminum oil coolers. told them to call and give me an estimate before they do anything (would hate to pay 100$ for a fix)

has anyone has this same issue? or have any comment pertaining to this? i'm not totally sure what made this happen. idk if it was not letting it warm up enough one way, or heat cycling just cracked a bad seam... i CANNOT visibly see the crack, but it definitively leaks there, even at idle i can see if accumulate.

i wish i would have taken a picture of even a video!...its on the right side, back portion. after the banjo, and the the top, its between the first 1-2 large fins on the outside portion of the cooler!

If nothing else, go to 1320bikes.com or Psychobike.com and put a wanted ad for one. Lots of guys have removerd theirs to run sidewinder exhaust and may give it up cheap

Why dont u just buy block off plates and remove it ...if u do just remember to take that bolt from behind the oil filter

i thought about removing it....although im on of those people that believe the factory put it there for a reason and that some bike already have overheating issues.. (not mine)

what is the downfall of removing the oil cooler? changing the oil more often i assume?

i bought a another cooler from Goldenchild thanks for the links though! 35$ is a good price.

by my observations and the radiator shops it was the cooler. ill repost on monday when the new cooler arrives and i install it!

Back