Leaking lots of oil!!!!

Denney

Registered
Im new to the forum and a first time busa owner. I have a 99 busa that I just bought that was owned by a best friend of mine that passed away a few weeks ago. The bike has 38k miles and the motor is all stock and never been rebuilt. I went for a ride yesterday and The idle was way to low so with it running I took the oil fill cap off so I could turn the idle up and when I took the cap off alot off pressure was in the crankcase. I got the idle set where it should be and went for another ride and the next thing I knew my right shoe and side fairing was covered in oil. After taking the fairing off it looks like the valve cover gasket is where the leak is. Im just a little confused if maybe my crankcase isn't breathing like it should. It never leaked a drop of oil until I took the oil fill cap off with the bike running. Any thoughts or replies would be appreciated because here in Indiana the weather is going to be nice this week and I want to get it going asap. Thanks

Welcome. If you intend to do some of the work on your bike, get a copy of this: Service manuals for Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycles

Among other things, the manual will describe the proper procedure to check/set idle. Check the oil level to make sure you're not low before riding the bike again.
P.S. Maybe the oil cap was not on tight enough and allowed oil to escape?

I say clean that puppy up good, make sure it's full of oil and ride it around with the fairing off. I'm gonna guess that will fix the oil leak. As long as the oil fill plug is in tight.

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

Yeah I had to take the fill cap off to adjust the idle because the bracket is bent and I couldn't turn it with my hand or get a screwdriver on it.

I would clean it up really well and take it for a ride just to be doubly sure you simply aren't dealing with a loose cap. There are a couple breather hoses that run up to the airbox, you might have a look at those. It seems odd for a valve cover to leak that much oil that it would be all over your shoes..

Pics of "lots of oil"

Wash the bike clean and let it idle naked then look for leaks.

I cleaned it up and its for sure leaking from the valve cover. I just don't understand how a valve cover could leak so much so fast when it never leaked before. And yes it sounds stupid to take the fill cap of the clutch cover to adjust the idle but I had to on mine because I couldn't turn the screw because its so close to the cap. My question is could I have a crankcase venting problem

Possible that you pinched the o'ring on the cap or that is is simply loose. Heavy has a good suggestion with the fairing removal and riding naked for a bit... I would take it a step farther and spray a fair amount of baby powder around suspect areas; any leak will streak and you can follow the streaks to the source.

Did the bike sit for an extended period of time? Maybe the gaskets got brittle or "dried" up from lack of use. Not sure if you can run a dye in the oil so you can trace/pinpoint the source of the leak. Best of luck.

Its not coming from the fill cap. Its leaking on the head above the exhaust header. The bike was parked last November and sat until about 2 weeks ago. Im going to change the valve cover gasket tomorrow and go from there. Its just weird because I put about 50 miles on it and it didn't leak at all then it started pouring out.

Back