Little Help Please

Woody109

Registered
Taking the front calipers off tonight for a good cleaning and fix a stuck piston or two I ran into a little problem. One of the caliper mounting bolts broke off in the caliper. Tried an easy out but no luck in either direction. Don't wanna heat it to much since the caliper is aluminum. Got it soaking in PB Blaster overnight. Any suggestions?

gen 1 or gen 2?

on gen 1 the caliper bolt goes through the fork into the threads on the caliper.

you can try to grind the broken bolt end flat, then centerpunch. next, drill the center out of the broken bolt. use a small drill-bit to start, then incrementally increase your bit size. when you get to within 1/16 of the bolt diameter at that point you should be able to roll the bolt shell inward. run a tap to the original pitch, and MAYBE done. maybe because next you have to verify that your repaired hole will hold torque. if yes, your golden, if no... buy a new caliper.

gen 2 looks to have the bolt thread into the bottom of the fork, i would use the same procedure on the broken bolt end though.

pics would probably help...

Its a Gen 1 and the bolt is already drilled thru from the factory. Have enlarged the hole a bit to try the easy out to no avail. May have to keep drilling it progressively larger to try your suggestion. Thanks

gen 1 or gen 2?

on gen 1 the caliper bolt goes through the fork into the threads on the caliper.

you can try to grind the broken bolt end flat, then centerpunch. next, drill the center out of the broken bolt. use a small drill-bit to start, then incrementally increase your bit size. when you get to within 1/16 of the bolt diameter at that point you should be able to roll the bolt shell inward. run a tap to the original pitch, and MAYBE done. maybe because next you have to verify that your repaired hole will hold torque. if yes, your golden, if no... buy a new caliper.

gen 2 looks to have the bolt thread into the bottom of the fork, i would use the same procedure on the broken bolt end though.

pics would probably help...
+1 :thumbsup:

May have to drill it out and they re-tap the hole.Thats what happens with disimilar metals get corroded..

You've been given good advice. If all fails you get a new caliper. I don't know the dimensions but you might be able to drill and tap using slightly larger bolt to save the caliper.

For you pros. Would anti seize be a good application here to prevent this ?

Anti-seize and a torque wrench is the best prevention.

dadofthree said:
For you pros. Would anti seize be a good application here to prevent this ?

Not a pro by any stretch but anti seize will affect torque values. Make sure you follow the manufacturers specs.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Lookin on Fleabay and there are a few calipers there. Not sure about never seize on the caliper bolts. Believe they should be locktited on. Gonna give it one more try to get it out than buy a used caliper and go from there. Glad I have 2 bikes so I can at least ride while the Busa is down.... :)

Back