HID Flicker Update

kjcili

Donating Member
Registered
OK! After intense diagnosis and trial and error, I believe I have gotten to a result for this "problem".
Apparently there were two underlying issues working in conjunction with each other against me.
Bottom line was a combination of having a TRE and the idle being too low.
Apparently my tach is slightly off so when I thought I had my idle @ 1200; it was more like 1050 - 1100, which is to low for the rectifier to work properly under heavy draws, and when I tried to turn my idle up a bit, then I ran into erratic idle problems; ie., it would jump around from 1250 to 2000. A local shop that Suzuki actually goes to for technical support; Fornarelli Racing, told me that the TRE was causing the idle problems due to the product causing full advance; which is what it is SUPPOSE to do.
SO, I eliminated the TRE (which also means I will now have to redo my map), got my girl to idle solid around 1250 and the problem is not so relevant anymore. I still need to re-wire my HID's and get them directly off the battery, but I actually am developing a distribution center so as not to have so much cluttered up on battery post. I do still need to re-check my battery because; altho it is only 2 years old, I still have a gut feeling it's not 100%. When all is said and done, I am going to upgrade stator and rectifier due to extreme stress that has been put on them.

Have the battery tested, don't assume it's less than 100% . When you wire them off the battery make sure you're not turning them on and off a lot like the factory low beam on start bc it will kill the ballast.

Good Job hopefully it will help others.

Unless you're running a butt load of accessories all the time I wouldn't upgrade the stator. I don't know of a rectifier upgrade. The bike easily handles the installation of HIDs.

Back