shift shaft...

card16969

Registered
so i get up under the bike while ripping everything down and i am trying to figure out if my shift shaft seal is leaking or if its all just chain slop so i get under there and heres what im looking at....

2012-03-21_23-34-42_797.jpg

2012-03-21_23-35-10_266.jpg

2012-03-21_23-41-52_978.jpg

But as soon as i grab the shift shaft i realize there is lateral play in the shaft meaning it moves in and out. Heres a video of it move and dont pay attention to my fingers moving but look at the seal and you can see it move there. My question is should there be the play in the shaft or no?

[video]http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h129/card16969/?action=view&current=2012-03-21_23-45-40_454.mp4[/video]

I couldnt load your video up, with u playing with your shaft..but any way i think it might be fine.
I would just clean that area up and keep an eye on it..

sent from my busa

Ok that was too funny..
But maybe someone can watch the video for me and describe it...

sent from my busa

pulling outward from the seal theres i would guess 1/8th of an inch worth of movement and hardy har har good joke haha.. ive torn bike transmissions apart before and some have play some dont but ive never been into a busa transmission so i dont know if it should or shouldnt have the play... its shifted fine last year

I couldnt load your video up, with u playing with your shaft..but any way i think it might be fine.
I would just clean that area up and keep an eye on it..

sent from my busa

Maybe a little Vagisil, but I wouldn't put my eye on it :laugh:

Hopefully someone with experience will be along. I'll bet it's alright. I would have to clean it and see. That area on my bike is probably a solid chunk of chain wax and dirt.

dadofthree said:
Hopefully someone with experience will be along. I'll bet it's alright. I would have to clean it and see. That area on my bike is probably a solid chunk of chain wax and dirt.

Yes i agree...
Maybe someone experienced with shaft play will be coming along soon..

sent from my busa

from what i read on another forum the shaft moving like that is a sign of the seal being bad... the seal should hold it and make it harder to move

Been looking it up and it said that sometimes those seals pop out a little and leak..
Also said there is a bearing in there..
And a big plus its not that hard to change out..

sent from my busa

Been looking it up and it said that sometimes those seals pop out a little and leak..
Also said there is a bearing in there..
And a big plus its not that hard to change out..

sent from my busa

yep just want to make sure that im right about it having some play in it... some ppl have been in there and rebuild it so someones gott to know

yep just want to make sure that im right about it having some play in it... some ppl have been in there and rebuild it so someones gott to know

Best idea so far!!!! Replace the seal, put it back together. If there is to much play, then just take it apart again and fix it.... All that means is that, when the time comes, you are going to be able to fix mine for me in half the time..... C'mon, practice makes perfect .... right???

:laugh:

Best idea so far!!!! Replace the seal, put it back together. If there is to much play, then just take it apart again and fix it.... All that means is that, when the time comes, you are going to be able to fix mine for me in half the time..... C'mon, practice makes perfect .... right???

:laugh:

start ordering parts and shipping to my place and when you get back bring the bike up and we will rip it down and put it all together since you dont have much time that way its all already here and ready to go

start ordering parts and shipping to my place and when you get back bring the bike up and we will rip it down and put it all together since you dont have much time that way its all already here and ready to go

???

You are in the middle of a build...
You can't get in contact with the guy to get your parts...
You want me to order parts and send them to your place...

??? Sounds like a set up to me....:laugh:

Back