Clutch popping into gear

mrnyc01

Registered
Hey guys.. got a quick question..

I changed my oil recently.. as I have done for many years in the past. This was done last weekend. I noticed I has a small oil leak from the drain plug. So this past Sat I put a oil pan under it.. drained the oil (which by the way is brand new) and took the plug out sealed it and put it back in. Poured the oil back in since it was new and I only rode the bike about 10 miles since the oil change to test out my new exhaust tip. Didn't see a need to spend money on MORE oil. Here is the prob..

Went to move the bike back to its parking position in my garage and I found out that with it in gear, when I pull the clutch to move it around (without turning it on) it was difficult to move. I had to put it in neutral to move it freely. I was like wth? So I started it, sat on it and put it in first, and it was a strong jerk into first. Did it a couple of times. I didn't let the engine run long cause I wanted the sealent I just coated the drain plug with to set.

I used reg (although better grade) 10w/40 (dont blast me for this.. I change my oil twice a season)

Also in the past, even on other bikes it was no problem.

Did I need to let it run longer to build up some type of pressure or something? This has never happened before. And when I rode it to test the tip... it rode fine.

Thoughts?

using automotive oil in motorcycles is a bad idea. in cars clutch and transmission have separate oils for each. car oil has friction modifiers to reduce friction on engine components and improve fuel economy.

friction modifiers added to automotive oil can cause serious damages when used in ur motorcycle. friction modifiers clog the clutch plates causing quite a bit of clutch slippage. motorcycles combine engine and transmission fluid into one casing. valves, piston, tranny and clutch are all lubed by one oil.

motorcycle oils use zddp to reduce engine friction and wear.

Ok got it fixed... I let it heat up did it once or twice.. but then I adjusted the cable on the clutch lever using the knob and it click into gear nice and smooth... Just wanted to post a solution in case anyone else has this problem.

using automotive oil in motorcycles is a bad idea. in cars clutch and transmission have separate oils for each. car oil has friction modifiers to reduce friction on engine components and improve fuel economy.

friction modifiers added to automotive oil can cause serious damages when used in ur motorcycle. friction modifiers clog the clutch plates causing quite a bit of clutch slippage. motorcycles combine engine and transmission fluid into one casing. valves, piston, tranny and clutch are all lubed by one oil.

motorcycle oils use zddp to reduce engine friction and wear.

Hey thanks...and noted. I have read about 1000 post on this forum regarding using high quality motor oil and motorcycle specific motor oil. Oil around here is really expensive... yeahI know the argument. A few mechanics that I know suggested using motorcycle specific oils but said if I went with regular oil just change it more often. Soon as I catch a sale on it.. I will stock up in motorcycle specific.

Hmmm.... I have the same issue with mine and I did fiddle with the clutch lever too. After reading this I adjusted it again and for a minute thought that solved the problem but nope! It started clanking and getting stuck again.

cool you got it sorted.

interesting that you have read about the differences between car and bike specific oil, and choose car. how many miles are on your bike? what is your riding style? easy peasy, commute to work? on the pipe through the canyons? wot hard runs?

Ok got it fixed... I let it heat up did it once or twice.. but then I adjusted the cable on the clutch lever using the knob and it click into gear nice and smooth... Just wanted to post a solution in case anyone else has this problem.

Busa has a hydraulic clutch stock.
Apparently you (or a previous owner)changed to a cable.
I've heard the motorcycle specific oil arguement for years too.
15k miles with automotive Royal Purple 10w40 and the clutch still feels like new...and I ride the bike hard.:beerchug:

Busa has a hydraulic clutch stock.
Apparently you (or a previous owner)changed to a cable.
I've heard the motorcycle specific oil arguement for years too.
15k miles with automotive Royal Purple 10w40 and the clutch still feels like new...and I ride the bike hard.:beerchug:

10's of thousands of miles on other my bikes with automotive oil and zero issues.
Not to mentionall of my friends bikes and past bikes too.
I only see it becoming a problem on a big hp bike with turbo, sc, nitros, ect.
Just my 2 cents...not another oil debate:laugh:

Back