Overheating

Sky Rider

Registered
I'm having issues with my '06 overheating. I can ride it normal all day long (not exceeding 8K RPM) however, the second I do one WOT run I start to get engine temp spikes when my RPM spend a good deal of time in the lower range. I can be cruising at 60MPH in 6th and all of a sudden my temp gauge will go up to red. The only way I can get it to cool off is by down shifting and getting the engine up into the higher RPM range. I will also notice after a ride where I have this issue my reservoir will be completely filled to the cap and the radiator about half empty. After reading Red Falcos thread which sounds very similar to my issue I'm praying I just have a simple leak somewhere in the cooling system. Any input would be appreciated.

There was a Gent from Ireland last month that had "our" issue that got away with replacing the radiator cap and that fixed his. Well worth the 19.00 to try.
Just make certain there is NO air in the system when your going through the burping / refilling process. Being that your radiator is half full and the reservoir is full, I would suspect there was still air in the system after your last fluid top off. Unless your leaking fluid through the overfill hose of the resevour.
Mine would of been full to the resevour cap after a WOT run and the radiator fluid would be only about 3/4 inches low from the cap of the radiator. And thats not spilling a drop of fluid through the overflow line of the resevour tank. If your scenerio is not leaking fluid, you gotta still have air in the system or your leaking into the oil. Your oil look okay?
Believe me when I say to ya... "I know exactly how you feel" and it sucks as I'm still working through the pains to this day and not outta the woods yet to tell you that a head gasket fixed my problem.

Good luck to ya.

Fluid leak is actually how I first caught it. One day while riding I got a real heavy whiff of hot coolant and after closer inspection I found the under wing covered in it, the end of the overflow wet, and the reservoir full.

Same here; Groosly fimiliar - and a sad...sad day I must say.

Be VERY carefull driving on it in that condition or you'll warp the head. Especially letting it get into the RED on the temp gauge. When I sent my head into APE to have it my work done, they did tell me that the head was somewhat "warped" and it was recommended that I have it resurfaced (along with the other work I had done.) And I only drove on it like that a "hand full" of times never getting into the red. But by no means am I suggesting that you have a head gasket problem. If you don't correct it before riding on it too long - not to mention "getting on it @ WOT" you'll add to whatever your issue really is.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the simple check list.
Radiator cap. (Be absolutely certain there is no air pockets in the system)
Inspect all hoses <> even the smaller returns. If they feel really soft as if they would collapse easily, then replace. (particullarly the smaller returns.)
Inspect and test thermostat. (Boiling water on the stove worked great for me and take the rubber gasket off before dropping it in)
Coollant sytem Pressure test. (Local autoparts store has the kits... make sure you get the adapter for small import cars)
Cylinder Leak down test. (Sears department store; with 10mm adapter)
Water pump.
I don't dare tell you the last thing, cause I don't wanna jinx it for ya. But it rymns w/ Fled Plastic and / or Smacked Head.

Hopefully you'll only need the radiator cap and a good burpin'.
I'm rootin' for ya!
Good luck.

Oh... and there is always the simple route - take in to the Stealership and let them run it down. Then in again, I've researched horrer stories on that topic; is why I chose to do it myself.

Thermostats? $20 fix and easy to swap out. I had a similar issue on my k1 several years ago.

Haha last time I took it to the stealership for a minor issues I ended up with a $2,400 bill. Luckily it was still under warranty at the time. Well my day of troubleshooting begins. Will post back later with my finds.

Did my compression tests. Results were (178, 194, 185, 188) min spec is 124 PSI and variance allowed between cylinders is 28PSI. Ideal is 171-243. That's ok. Cooling system holds pressure. That's ok. All seals are ok on cap and it does not leak. That's ok. Replaced thermostat. Fixed issue. I find this funny because I just replaced it in November. Must have been a bad one.

What did i win for guessing it right? Seriously, glad it was a cheap fix and you are up and running.

Back