Battery died. Whats the cost of new battery

bs72069

Registered
Well last saturday fiance went to start my bike like she been doing every saturday for the past 5 1/2 months. Said light was dim, heard clicking noise, but wouldnt start. Im not sure if the busa charging system charges at idle or at speed. But going to get a new battery anyways. Whats the cost of a battery? I figure around $40.00-$60.00. Probably get one at auto parts store or walmart. Which are alot closer to where i live at.

do a search ithink you can get a heavy duty one for 119 bucks .

<!--EDIT|rob t
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101504749 -->

A battery for your Busa usually costs about $80 (OEM). You can get the heavy duty one with 235cca for $109 at Schnitz Racing. That's what I did...
biggrin.gif

The Busa takes a specialty battery...Wal-Mart doesn't carry it......I know, out of curiousity I checked
wink.gif
I don't know about automotive type places tho...if you find one locally in a Sears ect let us know
tounge.gif

As we know, some of us have had starter problems..What BA said is right on the money. Get the HD one. It will spin the motor faster and can prevent the dreaded back kick..breaking all kinds of parts..Just ask Jester. Thanks BA.
smile.gif

do they come ready to install or would I also need to get a charger to "prep" the battery? Just recall the dealer mentioning something like this when I got the bike.

Hey bs72069,

The Service Manual states that you should rev at 5K rpms to test charger output. The output will be between 13.5 - 15 V. I would think that the problem may have been because you weren't riding it and when your girl started it, it was at idle. That didn't generate enough voltage to keep it charged.
Also make sure the brights aren't on while warming it up.
One other thing, make sure the replacement battery is also a Maintenance Free Battery (I don't think you can by a non-MF anymore) but the charging system is only designed for MF batteries, per Service Manual.

cool.gif

Cool thanks guys. Im going to test it when i get home. Ride down the road for a few miles and see what happens the next day. Hopefuly its just has a low charge and after rideing it holds a charge. Anyone use a drycell battery in their bike.

I just picked up and installed a "vector" battery tender. Sixteen dollars at Wal-mart. Just connect the included plug to your battery and plug the charger into the wall 110/120V. It can be manually switched to 1 or 2 amps. It has an electronic monitoring system that will charge your battery when it needs it, float the charge and then completely shut off when the battery is charged. You can leave it plugged in for weeks at a time.
I use it because of the ugly winter months here in St. Louis, Illinois!

When you buy a new battery also look into a battery tender, it will add life to your battery and starter and save you lots of headaches

A battery tender is a good idea. Starting a bike and just letting it idle once a week isn't a good idea. The difference in temp as the engine warms up creates moisture through condensation, and it's best to ride it for a period, getting the bike hot enough too evaporate the moisture. This moisture will corrode the engine internally. You're better off changing the oil and just letting the bike sit, removing the battery and let the battery tender take care of it. Sorry for the
umnik.gif

smile.gif

At idle, your bike is using its battery power until you reach over 2k rpm, I believe. Then the "generator" takes over and charges the battery if needed.

I bought a replacement battery at walmart, it wasnt for a busa though it was for a gxxr 750 , but hey it worked and the boys were waiting, 50 bucks, mines a 1397 cc and Im not having any problems

Back