Busa quirk? or something else?

Hayabusawannabe

Registered
I changed the oil and now the clutch is kinda sticky. I pull the clutch and it stays in gear for a sec or two. Doesn't effect upshifts just downshifts. Also, *clunks* into first pretty hard when cold; so hard that it will stall sometimes. Does oil have anything to do with this or is it something else?

10w - 40 ??? all the right specs. Motorcycle not car oil. We have a wet clutch and the oil matters. I have used the zuki dino for 6 years, no problems. Also make sure the level is right.

I used Royal Purple Max-Cycle motorcycle oil 10w-40. Runs fine and is at the correct level. I contacted RP and told them what kind of bike I had and they said that's the right one.

whenever a new problem occurs immediately after a change has been made the first thing to do is undo the change. have you always used the royal purple? im not saying rp is bad, lots of guys probably run it. but, if this problem set is new since you changed the oil...

has your bike been sitting for the winter? now your getting ready to ride, so you changed the oil? you rode it before the oil change and it was fine?

whenever a new problem occurs immediately after a change has been made the first thing to do is undo the change. have you always used the royal purple? im not saying rp is bad, lots of guys probably run it. but, if this problem set is new since you changed the oil...

has your bike been sitting for the winter? now your getting ready to ride, so you changed the oil? you rode it before the oil change and it was fine?

Well the bike is new to me. It had about 10K on the clock (3K by me) so I decided an oil change was in order. I have no idea what the original owner used but it didn't have this problem. Time for another oil change so maybe I should try another brand. Sucks cause I still have some RP left over.

I had this issue on my 09 when I got it back from the dealer for an insurance claim.
First start up cold and try to put it in gear it would jump forward.
Clutch delay when releasing the clutch.
thunking when shifting into up gears.

I dont know what it was but it fixed itself after about 500 miles.

Can you contact previous owner and ask them what they used? bikes are sometimes finicky and most have personalities like we do. Not all bikes like same things.

Nevermind what oil level looks like in the sight glass... How much oil did you actually put in it? Did you replace the oil filter as well?

Can I contact the previous owner? Nope! Don't have his info anymore.

Since I don't know much about this I wasn't too worried. I kinda hoped it would just adjust itself but it hasn't. ???

As for how much oil I put in? I put the correct amount (I forget what that is now) and changed the filter. The level hasn't moved at all since.

Maybe the two problems are not related? Maybe bleed the clutch with some fresh fluid, move the lever out, check the stack height?

OK so the *clunking* into first and the sticky-ness was solved; turned out to need a fluid flush but there's still a problem. There's a *klanking* sound that can be heard & felt on the lower left side, between the peg and the axle. Happens intermittantly under the following conditions:

Normal operating temp
At take off
Usually goes away as you speed up

If I hold the clutch a bit it seems to do it less but not really sure about that. Pull the clutch all the way and noise stops. My first thoughts were it's the chain slapping against something but no I don't think so since I adjusted it. Whatever it is it's very unnerving so it's back to the shop with it. :headache:

If the chain is stretched to where it needs to be replaced, it will make that noise even if it is adjusted to the proper tightness. I recently replaced my chain and sprockets because of that noise. Problem resolved.

If the chain is stretched to where it needs to be replaced, it will make that noise even if it is adjusted to the proper tightness. I recently replaced my chain and sprockets because of that noise. Problem resolved.

What chain does the 2005 stock Busa require?

I was thinking of buying a new one (probably is the original that came with the bike) cause my coworker was looking at it and made a comment about it being stiff. But then I thought well it's only been 18K miles but I might as well replace it.

if its stiff it could be making noise as it goes around the front sprocket.. 18k yeah i would change it and i would do sprockets as well or alteast thats my opinion

Back