Fuel pump not priming!

Beebermd

Registered
Hey guys. I got a salvage 95 I'm tring to get running. Just got a new ignition hooked up. All electrical is a go, except the fuel pump. I still have some investigating to do but im at work, so I thought I'd get some thoughts. Fuse is good, kickstand up, tip over sensor good. So i turn the bike on, temp gauge goes all the way up. Hit run switch and I hear the click of the relay, temp gauge goes down to bottom, then I hear another click and that's all. I get power to the relay, but no voltage to the pump. Pump also doesn't come on when hard wired. What ya think, both relay and pump are bad? Oh yeah and the starter turns when I hit the start button.

Well you said you hardwired it and it's a no go. Time to pull the pump. It might be yuked up from sitting or bad. pull it and check it.

Yeah I'll do it when I get home. I put a volt meter on the relay, and it switches on and then switches right back off after a 2 sec pause. I'm wondering if after it switches, if the fuel pump isn't working it sends a signal back to turn the relay back off. Dunno. Maybe the relays shot too. Just really don't want to to be the computer!

Prop up the tank, disconnect the fuel pump harness. Put your multimeter to the positive and negative wires (whichever ones by wire color they are) then flip the switch and look for voltage. If you get voltage you need to think about replacing the pump. You could always run a straight wire from the battery to the pump and see if you get any action.

Battery is a great thought. Even if the voltage reads good it could be bad. It needs to be load tested. You could use your car battery to test the theory

Battery is a great thought. Even if the voltage reads good it could be bad. It needs to be load tested. You could use your car battery to test the theory

The pump will still prime even if there is not enough voltage for the starter to turn over. I know this from a couple dead battery instances :laugh:

Thanks for the replies. I actually am using a car battery. I've hooked up the fuel pump to the voltage meter. I get 12v for like 2 sec before the relay turns off. After it turns off, I get no signal. The pump doesn't run during these 2 sec but the signal is there. So I can assume the pump is probably shot. But I don't think that's my only problem. it does crank, so If it was a sensor (clutch, tipover etc) was causing it, it wouldn't crank either so I can rule those out. What I don't really understand is why I have no codes thrown and why I the pump only gets power for two seconds. I can think of only of three things. When you hit the switch, the power goes to the pump, primes for 2sec and then actually turns off and then gets power again when you to supply fuel when you actually start the engine. I need to check signal while cranking. Or the relay is bad, or the ecu is bad.

Thanks for the replies. I actually am using a car battery. I've hooked up the fuel pump to the voltage meter. I get 12v for like 2 sec before the relay turns off. After it turns off, I get no signal. The pump doesn't run during these 2 sec but the signal is there. So I can assume the pump is probably shot. But I don't think that's my only problem. it does crank, so If it was a sensor (clutch, tipover etc) was causing it, it wouldn't crank either so I can rule those out. What I don't really understand is why I have no codes thrown and why I the pump only gets power for two seconds. I can think of only of three things. When you hit the switch, the power goes to the pump, primes for 2sec and then actually turns off and then gets power again when you to supply fuel when you actually start the engine. I need to check signal while cranking. Or the relay is bad, or the ecu is bad.

The relay will only supply 3 seconds of power to the pump when it primes so what you are getting sounds about right. I call bad pump. Got a buddy with a busa that you could swap gas tanks with?

The pump will still prime even if there is not enough voltage for the starter to turn over. I know this from a couple dead battery instances :laugh:
Not necessarily. Low voltage will cause bikes to act odd in lots of different ways. Mine would start and run with a bad battery, but the motor would break up under full throttle. Then sometimes it would crank slow, but no fuel pump or injectors....:banghead: Changed stator, rectifier and finally battery (even though it tested good with a meter. That solved it....

Cheapest fix first: relay, pump, ecu. I highly doubt it's the ecu. Anyone close to you that you can borrow parts from to check?

Back