Poor Brakes after upgrade !!

bigron

Registered
Hello People
I just upgraded my brake lines to Galfer SS front and rear and also upgraded my pads to EBC Doule H front and rear. At the same time i changed my levers to FP Tactical. I bled the lines completely and patiently till there was no air in them. I ve ridden about 100 miles after changing brakes/levers but the brakes feel very weak with very less stopping power. In fact they even worse than the oem brakes. How long do i ride before the pads settle in and the "soggyness" of the brake lever goes away ? Or do i bleed the lines one more time ? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks BTW its a 2011 gen 2 with 6000 miles on it.

It sounds to me like there is still air in the lines. It is almost impossible to get it all out. I would give them another good bleeding, as air can get stuck anywhere there is a corner, junction, etc. You did bleed both sides of the calipers and crack the line loose at the master cylinder too, right?

You might try tying the brake lever back against the grip overnight and see if that helps.

@ LS - Yea mate , i bled both the lines on respective calipers. Repeatedly bled the lines emptying the MC reservoir and topping it. Did not completely empty the reservoir while doing it.

It sounds like there is still air in the lines for sure!

youve got air in the lines, go get a mityvac and be done. it makes life so much easier. just watch the m/c when you first hook it up that thing will pull the fluid out quick

it does sound like trapped air. i would bleed the brakes again, and if no improvement... just for kicks put your stock levers on and check the "feel." when doing mods i like to do one at a time in case of issue. but that being said, i usually do it all at once!

That's one thing I'd make sure works well, the brakes! Been there brother, hope you get it worked out soon...the bash isn't too far away!

I heard from someone on here to pull your brake level and zip tie it for overnight. I dont know if it works so someone may flame me here :laugh:. Worth a shot?

Tying the lever back works for bleeding but is bad for the fluid. Most brake fluids are hygroscopic. This means they will absorb moisture from the air. That moisture shortens the life and has a similar effect to air.

AIR IN THE LINES//:banghead:
Just because you stated I bled the lines doesn't mean you did it properly.
Mightyvac or Gravity Bleed?
Who changes brake pads without atleast resurfacing the rotors are buying new ones. Thats like taking a shower with your underwear on. Half Ass IMO.

Ya know, some plug there tires when they get a nail in them.. some just replace the oil filter with every other oil change, some just replace the pads and dont resurface the rotors or replace them.

And some...............replace there spark plugs every 12K miles.

Maybe it is a waste but its a piece of mind that I know my brakes and tires are the best they can be.

I also replace tires before they reach the wear bars... 2 things I don't go cheap with are brakes and tires.

:beerchug:

Thank you all for the inputs. I ll do a complete bleeding again and again. It has got to be the air. will try to swap the levers too just in case.

Back