Brake light question

T-rexATL

Registered
Hey guys , I thought I needed a tail light ,but it accually works. I have a problem though not sure if anyone has seen this before. When I hit the brakes more than once the brake light stops work ing. When I use the turn signal the brake light stops working. Has anyone seen this problem before ?

You have a compromised ground in the rear lighting circuit. The high side of the bulb is drawing more current than the low side. That's why the tail light works but the stop light doesn't and especially once you add another bulb with the turn signals. Gen1 or 2?

Odd since the taillight is an LED. I'd start by just checking the grounds in the tail and verify integrity from there. It's probably a reasonably easy and potentially cheap fix.

i would check the break switch theres an in and out hook a multimeter to each side of it positive to one side negative to the other and put your meter on continuity and it should show that theres no connection and when you hit the breakt it should beep and show a connection or the opposite... im not sure if its a normally open or normally closed switch off of the top of my head

Check both brake switches, especially the rear. Adjusting the rear brake switch might fix this.

Some people use the tail light wire for a hot switch for small electronics. Has anything been tapped into this wire?

If it's under warranty take it in and let them run it down. Otherwise start checking your grounds and make sure everything is tight, including the negative connection on the battery.

OK, the rear lighting is grounded by a single wire, black with a white tracer. The same ground lead feeds the EVAP purge, ISC, a few other things and the front lights. There's a connector just under the hump latch that is the rear light connector. I'd start there, since you haven't mentioned having other issues such as poor idle the issue should be isolated to the tail. To confirm you can use a jumper wire to connect the lights directly to the battery through the black/white tracer wire and see if that fixes your issue. If it does then you know what's wrong leaving the question of where.

Back