Another Damn Newb Question!!

Bearusa

Registered
Forgive me for asking a repetitive question, but I have scoured the threads and I can't find it. Suddenly one day, I saw a trace of steam coming from the front-right. I found the steam coming from the radiator cap itself. The temp gauge is moving, but normally and not anywhere near halfway. The overflow level doesn't move, whether hot or cold. My first thought is the thermostat isn't working and as the temp goes up, the rad cap is the weakest link. But the temp gauge seams to be working and not showing a high temp. I would like to fix this myself rather than pay my local shop, but I don't know what to try first. Please have pity on this ignorant Newb.
Bearusa

If the gauge is good and it's actually full of coolant then the thermostat is fine. You didn't mention what year yours is but I'd slap a radiator cap on it. They go bad too and over time will start to leak just a little bit, not enough to put any on the ground but once that drop gets exposed to air it turns to steam.

Also make sure it's cool when you go to remove it.

2002 Blue and Black, and thank you. I wouldn't have thought about the most obvious, the cap itself. I do appreciate the response.
Bearusa

Back