Loose tight chain

stonedpirate

Registered
Hi,

My chain tension in correct, rool bike forward, now loose.

Its set right at the tight spot but the rest of the chainis soo loose it hits the chain gaurd.

Do i need a new chain? Or can i fix it?

Or could it be an uncentered sprocket?

Also, does anyone know if something like this is covered by the suzuki warranty?

Or would i need to buy a new chain? Bike has only done a 1000km's and is 2 months old.

Thanks

How about a couple of pics to explain your predicament?

i would but my camera is at my other house.

Basically, my chain is the right tension on one half of the chain and the other half is so loose it touches the chain gaurd.

As i roll it forward, it gets looser and loser and then tightens back up when approaching starting position.

Ya somethings not right..best thing to do is put it on a rear stand and kinda go from there..make sure the chain is tracking right..sprocket bolts tight ..
Wheel aligned right..check front & rear sprocket for wear on the teeth or slighly bent especially if alum..check chain it might have a bad spot..have u did anything to the rear of the bike?changed sprockets out or something?

Time to replace your chain my friend. They all do that when they reach the end of their lives. The next step will be a broken chain. If it breaks at speed there is a real good chance the chain won't be the only thing broken.

Replace the chain ASAP and be done with it! I'd suggest replacing both sprockets as well.

thanks

so it was a faulty chain to begin with?

Will i need new sprockets considering they look new at only 1000kms?

thanks again

Sounds like something is loose, like maybe the bolts holding rear sprocket down. But with only 600 miles, unlikely. Busa has quite a bit of torque, so you need that chain in excellent shape. Careful till you get it figured out! Routine chain maintenance is is also a chain's best friend!

Possibly the cush drives in the sprocket? This would cause the sprocket to move around and create symptoms as you are explaining

Time to replace your chain my friend. They all do that when they reach the end of their lives. The next step will be a broken chain. If it breaks at speed there is a real good chance the chain won't be the only thing broken.

Replace the chain ASAP and be done with it! I'd suggest replacing both sprockets as well.

got nothing else to add except maybe a +1000!

At only 1000km take it to a dealer. That chain and sprockets (regardless of the esteemed Tuff's advice) is not at the end of it's life.cheersken

As Dad of 3 said, 600 miles on a new bike is not a worn out chain.
Something else is wrong or is not being explained correctly.:beerchug:

Others are correct, if your bike only has 600 miles on the beast since new it's probably still stretching. I'd run that puppy another 1000 miles to make sure all the links are stretched. If it still has tight spots then I'd take it back to the dealer and ask for a new chain!

There is always a possibility that the rear sprocket is out of round. Find the center of the tight spot and place a mark on the sprocket at 3:00. Then turn the wheel (While it's on a rear stand) 180 degrees and the chain should be loose if the sprocket is out of round. I doubt that's the case but it's easy to check. If you have to rotate the wheel more than one full turn to find the slack spot, its not the sprocket.

My bad for not reading your entire post.

It's official

I'm an idiot

Didnt even want to admit my mistake here but after all the help i recieved, i feel obliged to out myself as a ****.

I finally got all my tools together to clean, adjust and lube my chain and started testing to find the tightest spot on the chain to adjust from.

I started rolling the bike forward 3 or 4 links at a time and notice that it was 75mm all around the chain.

I thought, thats strange, its now evenly loose and no tight spots.

I realised i was in neutral and the previous test were done in first gear as i live on a hill and didnt want it to roll forward. I put it into first and sure enough, the chain is tight :p

lol

ffs

No one told me to put it in neutral.

hahaha

Silly mistake but happy my chain and sprockets arent f****d.

Tightened it up to 25mm all round.

One thing i did notice though, when i was adjusting the left nut, the notches on the adjuster are uneven on the left. For example. On the right side, it is adjusted to the edge of the third notch. But on the left, it is adjusted to the third notch only on the bottom with about half a mill from the third notch on the top notch if that makes sense.

In other words, the left sides top and bottom notches aren;t perfectly aligned.

Does that mean my axle isnt straight? If so, how would i align them?

Sorry for wasting your time with that **** up, but i do appreciate all your advice and learned a lot about chains and sprockets :)

get you a nice rear stand as it sounds like you adjusting things with the bike on the ground. makes life alot easier.

the tick marks on the swingarm are notoriously not accurate. google string method, out sponsor guy at tiger racing makes i nice little aluminum piece to adjust the swingarm with and be sure its even side to side.

get you a nice rear stand as it sounds like you adjusting things with the bike on the ground. makes life alot easier.

the tick marks on the swingarm are notoriously not accurate. google string method, out sponsor guy at tiger racing makes i nice little aluminum piece to adjust the swingarm with and be sure its even side to side.

Beat me to it. Exactly what I was going to say though.

Back