Red dust !

v-twin2busa

Registered
After having my 07 for five months and adding 4,000 miles to the odometer(9,500 total miles) I got her up one the lift for a little TLC and bolt on goodies One being new chain and sprockets. When I got to the drive sprocket I noticed some red dust Than when I went to take the nut off it was way to easy to loosen . ( I have done many sprockets over the years.) Seen this before on some Yamaha's a bunch came off the line with incorrect Tq values. My splines look fine never heard any noise I think every thing will be fine. I am not 100% if the 1st owner changed the drive sprocket . So could or could not be a factory issue,If I did not take some time show the bike some love this would have been a costly repair job. Any one else seen or had this issue?

IMG_20120112_164533.jpg

IMG_20120112_164543.jpg

Looks like some light surface rust. Fairly common to see on bikes that have sat for a while. You might try scraping out all the crud and flushing the entire area with WD-40 etc. I would recommend removing, cleaning and lubing the clutch push rod with some waterproof grease while you are at it. I always brush moly paste on the sprocket splines. Old dirt bike trick to prolong output spline life. Hope this helps!!

Looks like some light surface rust. Fairly common to see on bikes that have sat for a while. You might try scraping out all the crud and flushing the entire area with WD-40 etc. I would recommend removing, cleaning and lubing the clutch push rod with some waterproof grease while you are at it. I always brush moly paste on the sprocket splines. Old dirt bike trick to prolong output spline life. Hope this helps!!
I see how every one thinks it's rust but it's not it's hard to assure strangers over the internet of your own mechianl skills. But in any case I have already cleansed the area and push rod and all and treated the area to help stay clean. But thank you for your input

I see how every one thinks it's rust but it's not it's hard to assure strangers over the internet of your own mechianl skills. But in any case I have already cleansed the area and push rod and all and treated the area to help stay clean. But thank you for your input

Could it also be hard for you to believe others here may have more experience than you and be right?
Myself not included.

I agree with that its rust..did the chain look like it has not been lubed?i think your ok on the internal parts because there is a seal there..but i would also change the oil if u didnt already..because the bikes been sitting..and who knows when its been changed..

That is actually deceptionObama rust. It deceives one into believing it's something it's not! :dunno:

I was actually deceived into this trap once. Luckily, its now easily defeated after a single dose of reality! :thumbsup:

I agree with that its rust..did the chain look like it has not been lubed?i think your ok on the internal parts because there is a seal there..but i would also change the oil if u didnt already..because the bikes been sitting..and who knows when its been changed..
The chain was in good standings OIl change is part of what up too the next few days. Thanks for thoughts

Could it also be hard for you to believe others here may have more experience than you and be right?
Myself not included.
Not at all I know I am far from the knowing it all every one is. I f I thought that I would not be Here asking questions. But thank you for your useless post.

In all the reply above no one seem to mention the loose nut holding the sprocket on . After cleaning the area all up you can see some markings were the drive sprocket was moving back and forth. I am on this forum to learn and share I do not believe to know it all far from it but I do have a strong mechianl understanding of lots of things. The bike real never sat for long periods of time I do not discount that there was some surface rust on the sprocket but there was this dust looking stuff that I have seen on Roadstar warriors when unnoticed caused damage to the middle drive shaft. This is obviously not a issue with the buss or some one here would have surly heard of it. Thank you for reading my post and trying to offer input. Look forward to learning from the seasons buss owners here.

my first thoughts were a loose nut causing a little chatter of the front sprocket creating iron filings and red rust , it does look rather dry in there .

sure its nothing more than that to worry about :thumbsup:

Back