I keep screwing up new clutches, Please help !!!!!!!

josephchevy5596

Registered
about 1 1/2 months ago i switched from castrol to mobil 1 synthetic. few weeks later I was making a few passes at the track and soon as i launched i noticed the clutches slipping. Now i usually launch from 1st but a friend conveniced me to try launching from 2nd this time. After that clutches would slip in any gear when warm at wot. Replaced all the clutches and metals also did the clutch mod and the clutch cushion mod. everything word fine for the first few days then i decide to practice my launch only to find that after about 3 hard launchs my clutches where slipping again. also noticed a crunch going into 2nd as if it doesn't shift all the way into gear. this time i replaced just the bad clutches but once again it's going out. I also just installed a air shifter a few days before the clutches went out, and the only time i get the crunch going into 2nd is when i air shift.

Oh sorry its a 06 hayabusa 4-2-1 exhaust, air box mod, air shifter, 2" extended swing arm, stock engine with 20,000 miles the clutch cushion kit came with heavier springs, matter of fact i'm about to put the stock cushion kit back in now, seeing how the clutches look fine. i also switched back to castrol oil

Launching in any higher gear than 1st will only put more stress on the clutch as far as slippage goes. Motorcycle specific oil is recommended for wet clutch operation.

Measure your stack height. If I remember correctly with the cushion kit it is supposed to be around 1.850.

A guy at the track (on an r6) said to launch from second. I thought, "hell no", but didn't really understand why. Then my buddy on a turbo busa chimed in and said HELL NO! He explained something about how the Busa clutch and tranny work, and that launching from 2nd on his R6 might help, but launching from 2nd on a busa could mess some things up. Don't really remember exactly what he said, I wasn't thinking about clutch/tranny stuff at the time.

Anyway, I've heard people going season after season on Cycle Concept's Drag pak clutch pack. The motor I just put in has that pack in it so I don't have a first hand comparison (except for dropping .6 overall, but some of that is motor +experience, some of it is clutch), but the drag Busa guys seem to think that it's well worth getting if you're a weekend warrior at the strip.

Other than not launching from 2nd, and if you're sure you did the install right, I'm not sure what's up man.

Build the stack to 1.98 to 2.00".
I'm not sure what is causing your issue , but I know Mobil 1 motorcycle oil is not a problem to the clutches at all.

Got the clutches feeling great so i think. Didn't get enough ride time in before i started hearing a knocking sound and the oil light coming on. Can't win for losing this month, guess i'll pull the engine off tonight and pop it open. :banghead:

Call Dwayne at cycle concepts. He will get you set up. Ask him what your stack height should be WITH the clutch cushion. It is no longer what the factory calls for. If you go with one of his clutch packs make sure to tell him you have a clutch cushion in it.

His clutch packs work. My factory pack was still good when I pulled it out and I ended up picking up .15 and .18 on my first passes after installing them. I've made at least 200 passes on them and they are not warped and ate showing no signs of wear on the fibers.

I'd be willing to bet its going to eat a bearing soon due to the excessive clutch wear clogging up the oil pickup. that is why the oil light is coming on and its knocking. it has no oil pressure.

as for the grinding into second gear, sounds like you may have bent a shift fork and it will not engage the gear all the way. that could be due to testing the system without the bike moving, or too little kill time.

APE is also making clutches now and they work very well too at a fraction of the oem cost.

While you where working on the clutch, did you remove the basket at all?
Got the clutches feeling great so i think. Didn't get enough ride time in before i started hearing a knocking sound and the oil light coming on. Can't win for losing this month, guess i'll pull the engine off tonight and pop it open. :banghead:

yeap that was the case exactly blk02ws6, shift forks where not bent thou. bearing spun from excessive friction material in the oil pick up thou. but while breaking it down i found something else, the lower casing was cracked. i just decided to get another motor and use the old one for parts and sell some parts also. as far as the trans problems i have a aftermarket kickstand and it has a big plastic peace to press in the kick stand switch and it looks like my shift cylinder was hitting it during air shifts.

but for the record i work on cars, use to be a manager at midas automotive. but after breaking down this engine i though to myself there not much to this thing. i would have put new bearings in and ran it but the crank looks to bad

Back