K8 clutch rattle? TSB 199??

GSrider

Registered
Has anyone here had this problem with their K8? Mine has a really noisy clutch on cold start until it gets some oil up and circulating through it I assume. It quiets down some after 20 sec. or so of run time but is still slightly noticable even when warmed up but much quieter then upon initial cold start. It pretty much disappears totally when warmed up when the clutch lever is pulled in. It is not the ticking described in the 199 TSB which I believe is a bolt head hitting the inside of the clutch cover. Just trying to decide whether the noise I hear is an indicator that a bolt(s) is/are loosening and to pull it apart and loctite the fasteners as per the TSB or ignore the noise and see if it gets worse over time. I just picked up the bike used and have only put about 50 miles on it so far given the cold weather---it has 1160 miles on the clock.

thanks, Pat

You don't even need to take it in to see if the recall has been done. Any decent dealer should be able to check the vin for you and pull the service records on it. If you know or have a good dealer near you call the service dept and ask them to check for you.

They were suppose to mark the VIN tag on the steering neck for recalls, have the rectifier recall checked while you're at it.

I called US Suzuki this AM and talked with them about this. They told me that I would have to contact my local dealer about this concern. They also told me that the bike wasn't sold as new until last year some time and that a claim was never submitted to them for this repair while in the dealers inventory before its sale. If I read the TSB correctly this procedure should have been done before it was sold by the original dealer before it was put into service in 2010. I picked up the bike used last month in Medford OR. I'll give my local dealer a call tomorrow and see what they can do. If I can't get Suzuki to fix it I'll buy a gasket and do it myself.

I had this dealer run the VIN for recalls when I got it home from OR. They told me that the harness recall had been done in OR but that it needed a rectifier so I had that installed a couple of weeks ago.

Pat

[ I'll give my local dealer a call tomorrow and see what they can do. If I can't get Suzuki to fix it I'll buy a gasket and do it myself.

Pat[/QUOTE]

I avoid the dealer by all means!! I checked my 09 a couple of weeks ago cause it fell into the serial numbers. I didnt find any loose hardware but I removed them, cleaned the threads with brake cleaner and applied blueloctite to the threads and reinstalled them. The clutch cover gasket didnt get tore so I didnt need to replace it. less then hour later completed.

Back