Starting problem

Dr Pain

Registered
Hey all, Back in here after some time away. I have a 2000 busa that has been sitting and not started for over a year. Inside and in A/C. The FI light stays on, have disconnected the power commander and added frest fuel. there was some still in the tank with stabilizer. When I turn the key on I do not hear the fuel pump but do hear a click under the left side of the rider seat. I'm sure the gas tank will have to come off but any ideas after cleaning up that ?
Thanks,
Dr pain

Was it kept on a float trickle charger during that time such as a battery tender? Will the engine turn over (crank when the starter button is pressed)

You can remove the driver seat and find the white plug that doesn't connect to anything, it may or may not have a cap on it(gen1 and 2 are the same).
It has 4 wires in it. Jump the red/white and black/white with a paperclip or piece of wire. This is safe and will not harm the bike. The key must be on, and it doesn't matter if the engine is running or not.
The letter"C" followed by a 2 digit number will be displayed on the dash. C00 means no trouble codes, any other numbers will reference the area causing the problem.
The C code list is in the manual.:beerchug:

Service manuals for Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycles, free download of service manuals for your GSXR bikes

wire%20jump.JPG

I'd go to the auto store and buy a volt meter. ($10-$20 for a cheap one)

If you hear a click (fuel pump relay) but no fuel pump, see where all you are getting power that's related to the fuel pump. connect the red probe from the volt meter to wires that should be getting power with the key on, the black onto the negative on your battery or some clean surface on your frame (ground).

If you're getting voltage before the relay but not after it, your relay is probably the problem and needs to be replaced. You're 100% sure you don't hear the pump priming? Should definitely hear it when the tank is up. Might through your volt meter on it too and see if you're getting power.

But yeah, without the pump priming and getting power, the bike's not going anywhere so you might as well not ever hit the starter and waste the battery until you're getting power to the pump.

Couple of wiring diagrams to help you out:

2-6.jpg

2-5.jpg

Yeah 1st step is checking is for trouble codes. I'm guessing it's the relay.

I guess 2nd is checking your fuel pump fuse. I just assumed you checked that off already, but check those before going through my big ole list.

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping that the fuel pump my have enough crap in or around it so it's not turning. I'll empty the gas tank and check the relay & fuse also. Has anyone had this problem after a bike has sat for an extended time? It was on a battery tender & it cranked strong. Just the flashing FI light and no strat!!
Dr. Pain

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping that the fuel pump my have enough crap in or around it so it's not turning. I'll empty the gas tank and check the relay & fuse also. Has anyone had this problem after a bike has sat for an extended time? It was on a battery tender & it cranked strong. Just the flashing FI light and no strat!!
Dr. Pain

The flashing FI light means that there is a trouble code, and if you jump the plug as shown above the code will tell you what's wrong.

Thanks guys, just did a bit of checking. When I turn the key on I can Feel the fuel pump relay click. I checked the relay across the silver blades and got a ground but not on the copper with an ohms meter. Also, no 12 v at the plug to the fuel pump. I'll check the fuel pump fuse in the daylight and see what that looks like. and jump the plug and see what code I get.
Thanks for the help,
Dr.

Yes, my first thought was the fuel pump was full of snot after siting for so long, couldn't turn and cooked the fuse. I put a light down in the tank and it looked super clean? we'll see tomorrow.
D

OK, today's findings, Error code c41, fuse blown. replaced the fuse. Turned ignition on ,no FI light, cranked the motor and the fuse blew flashing FI and c41 code again. Next, disconnected the fuel pump power supply replaced the fuse , turned on ing. no power at the fuel pump power plug and the fuse DID NOT blow. Can a bad relay cause the fuse to blow? At least the local dealer can supply a new relay.

Yeah that faulty relay may be shorting things out. I think they're a bit pricey though. :-/

I'd trace all the fuel related wiring and make sure nothing is crossed, touching, etc., but it sounds like you've done that and traced it to the relay.

Thanks Lucid, worst part is this bike has only 3700,, yep,, hundred miles on it. It just sat for a long time unstarted , W/ a battery tender on it. Inside the tank is nice and clean too. Ordered a relay so I'll what happens when I change it out.
Dr.

HI All. well the problem turned out to be a totally frozen up pump. Inside the filters, both ends were spotless as well as the whole pump. No crud, dirt, or guuu. I guess most likely from alcohol-gas? Back together as soon as the new pump gets here.
Dr.

Back