Front end wobble at 220 kmph ?

bigron

Registered
Hi guys , i have been noticing this problem for last few weeks. The bike runs clean and smooth upto 200/210 kmph but the minute it touches 220 kmph the front end wobbles to an extend where the windscreen is moving bad. It starts at 220 and goes if i slow down. The tyre pressure is okay at 42 psi front and rear and the bike has never been dropped. The front end seems alright with no damage to the forks or anythimg . Its a gen 2 that has covered around 6000 kms. I am not sure if the wobble goes beyond 230 as i slow down after 225 coz the wobble increases gradually from 220. The bearing are alright. I do have a rear wheel that needs a change but not immediate. Any pointers i should look at. Thanks in advance guys. cheers.

Could be the tire, tire balance, or pressure. 42 PSI is a little more than I run. I've had a similar issue and just pushed through it. It would probably go away by 225. I bet it runs just fine at half that speed :whistle:

I would change that rear tire and see if it cured the problem.

how many miles on the bike? could also be front wheel bearings front tire could be cupped or worn. steering hub bearings

I had the same issue with my ZX9 and I changed out both tires and it was fine from then on, had alot of funky wear on the front tire so I think it was initially from that

Thank you all for the replies and thanks "flynlow" for doing the conversions. I shall look at the balancing part and try changing the rear wheel. Is is possible for the front wheel and the bearings to be " used up" at only 3700 miles ? I ask coz the front wheel looks alright without any cuts/indentations or anything. Also . I have a zero gravity DB screen. I am hoping it is not the culprit and messing with the wind at that speed !

I have no wobble with the ZG DB on my Gen1. See if your local shop can do a balance for you, that way you can find if it may be your rims or tires. You surely don't have many miles on your bike to be bearings, but anything is possible.

It's not that hard to balance your own wheels , I would keep the discs on thou , as they could affect the balance

I cant see any reason why you can't balance the wheels on the bike .

Just need to undo calliper bolts and tie the callipers up out the way , and have the front wheel off the ground

Or am I missing something ?

I was told never have your wheels balanced at the same time as you have new tyres fitted, do a few hundred miles first to let the tyres settle on the tim , car or bike

Another good tip , paint around the weight to seal the joint up , keeps the weight in place , sometimes they fall off !

Static Motorcycle Wheel Balancer from No-Mar - YouTube

I guess its the balance that needs to be sorted as most of you mentioned. Even my dealer suggested the same. He also added that if it was a bearing issue the wobble would start from a much lower speed and would go on for a longer speed range ??? Not to sure about this one. Also the rear tyre is getting kinda "naked" so i guess a tyre change should also fit the bill . I have read that both the tyres front and rear have to be of the same brand otherwise they hamper handling. I am running the stock bridgestones and since the front is still in decent shape i ll probably have to buy another rear bridgestone .
@ residentalien - thanks for the link mate.

I was told never have your wheels balanced at the same time as you have new tyres fitted, do a few hundred miles first to let the tyres settle on the tim , car or bike

Another good tip , paint around the weight to seal the joint up , keeps the weight in place , sometimes they fall off !

Never heard of waiting a couple hundred miles to balance yet I can see the logic and good tip on painting the weights.

bigron, as far as running the same brand front and rear, thats not true so now you got your hands full trying to decide the best tire for you. It may clear up that wobble as well.

Thank you all for the replies and thanks "flynlow" for doing the conversions. I shall look at the balancing part and try changing the rear wheel. Is is possible for the front wheel and the bearings to be " used up" at only 3700 miles ? I ask coz the front wheel looks alright without any cuts/indentations or anything. Also . I have a zero gravity DB screen. I am hoping it is not the culprit and messing with the wind at that speed !

I hope you meant the rear tire. Also is the bike under warranty ? If it is and the rear tire doesn't fix the issue I'd take it to the shop. Best of luck :thumbsup:

hey I know this is an old post...but here goes... I live in Trinidad (West Indies)...I recently bought an 06 Limited edition Gen 1 Hayabusa and i am experiencing the same problem, as soon as i reach 210Kmh the front begins to wobble..I am just wondering if you found out what was causing the problem, can anyone help with this?? i changed the front wheel bearings already and I'am still having the same problem..Can it be that my front tyre needs changing, I am currently running 36 PSi on both tyres...Thanks in advance...

Are you the original owner, maybe someone messed with the settings on the forks. New tires and balancing sometimes tires are crappy brand new fresh out the mold with a slightly out of round shape or bump.

After that I guess check your suspension setup
If you don't get to many views or replies start your own thread, some people see the 2011 date and move on without reading. these things are meant to run smooth all the way to top speed so there is a something a little off on your machine somewhere.

the real reason for wobble for me was the green sealant that the dealer injected into the tyres before i took delivery. that thing made my bike wobble as i increased speed over 200 kmph, if you have nothing like that then a proper wheel balancing and bearing check would do the trick. unless ofcurse the rims damaged .

typically a wheel balance problem will have a speed range that it occurs in. the lower the range the further off the balance(off as in amount of weight). magic numbers(hypothetical number set for explanation)... 1 oz out creates a shake that occurs at 60 and goes away at 65. 1/2 oz out shakes at 90 and goes away at 95... anyways, assuming the tire itself is in good condition...no irregular wear, high spots... try a balance.

the real reason for wobble for me was the green sealant that the dealer injected into the tyres before i took delivery. that thing made my bike wobble as i increased speed over 200 kmph, if you have nothing like that then a proper wheel balancing and bearing check would do the trick. unless ofcurse the rims damaged .

damn the green slime! fix a flat vibration issue. when you go to spin the tire, you get different balance readings every time! :laugh:

Back