Ive just about had enough, 2006 tank on 2000 model bike. Help Please!

paulcee

Registered
Ok so ive bitten the bullet on my Gen1 and bought a 2006 fuel tank and pump, Vapourlock was fxxxing me off big time :banghead:. Could you guy's let me know is it as easy as I think to do the changeover or will I need any more mod's to fit it. The bike is Standard apart from a 2006 starting system. This is it, this doesnt make it reliable now then Im gonna have to look at upgrading to a newer model. Really love my 2000 model and dont want to get rid of it but enough is enough. Please help :please:

Ok, I understand your frustration. There have been many folks on here that have done the conversion, let them come along and see thread and they can get you on track. I am going to change the thread title to get more traffic for you.

Ok, I understand your frustration. There have been many folks on here that have done the conversion, let them come along and see thread and they can get you on track. I am going to change the thread title to get more traffic for you.

Thanks a lot for that. I have trawled through allsorts of thread's on here and this seems to be the only (expensive) solution to the problem. I am almost at the end of my tether with this bike its just one thing after another. But when i'm on it and its going great mmmmmmmmmmmmm Like a teenager in love all over again lol

you will need to change the fuel rails to the later style rails. as well as rewire your switched 12v supply to the pump, and the fuel level sending unit.

it is not complicated. if you need more help, pm me.

Ok so ive bitten the bullet on my Gen1 and bought a 2006 fuel tank and pump, Vapourlock was fxxxing me off big time :banghead:. Could you guy's let me know is it as easy as I think to do the changeover or will I need any more mod's to fit it. The bike is Standard apart from a 2006 starting system. This is it, this doesnt make it reliable now then Im gonna have to look at upgrading to a newer model. Really love my 2000 model and dont want to get rid of it but enough is enough. Please help :please:

Do you have the 06 starting system installed already and working? That will have nothing to do with the tank conversion if so, so you're done there.

06 pump and tank should just be wiring it up to the external pump wiring and game done I think. I haven't done the mod, I just moved to aftermarket tank. But my assumption is that it's the same; just wire the pump up and go. Might clean it up before you go, just in case. Dunno about this fuel rail stuff. I assume a fuel pump pushing fuel to a rail is the same no matter what. You may have to change the lines around, as the newer models have a quick disconnect lines that you may have to convert to old school fuel injection hose and clamps. Take a look and let us know. Wiring the pump and level sensor should be the only issues, but should be elucidated with the manual.

Everything is now ready and has been tested on the bike, install begins tomorrow and then it's Road test time, I'm only worried now that it may cave in under load but the test ride will let me know, keep your fingers crossed this works, if this works out I'll post a step by step instruction guide on how to do it, there are loads of threads on here about the issues and the upgrade but not 1 of them have followed it through to the end to help out the rest of us, anyway I'll post the results hopefully tomorrow

Fitted running and no cutting out, no mods to the fuel rail or anything else just change the 2x 2 connectors to a 4 way connector to coincide with the 2006 pump and job done, if anyone is planning on doing this the let me know and I'll help out, it's a really easy mod with about 1 hour work

Glad you got it worked out. Posting the details would be great!

Back