Removing a fuel pump on a 2007 tank.

lightemup

Registered
Can someone please tell me what the trick is to removing the fuel pump out of the tank? I removed the outer bolts, and the pump assembly is loose, but something is stopping it from being pulled out completely. I know there is a float assembly to watch out for, and according to my service manual book, you are supposed to just pull it right out. I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks.

You need to rotate it and pull down at the same time.
From memory it is about a 1/2 to 3/4 rotate,which direction I do not remember.???
Just remember which way you rotated it when putting it back,though it can only go back in, in one direction.

Hope this helps,BTDT... but it is really simple once you do it.:beerchug:

I took a look again, and I'm not sure what it is to pull down on at the same time. It doesn't appear that there is anything that can be pulled down. Can you be more specific?

Does it feel loose at all? With all the bolts out I recall it coming out with a light pry to get an edge broken free from the gasket...

Yes, I can pull it up about 3-4 inches, and then it stops on something. It's totally loose, and I can turn it 90 degrees or more, but it stops against something. One guy said to pull down on something while pullling it out after giving it a half to 3/4 turn, but that didn't seem possible. I'm thinking that I should just bring it in to the Suzuki dealer and pay their shop charge. Did yours just lift right out without something stopping it?

It will come out, it take's a few turns, the float is what is stopping it from turning all the way around!

OK, here's the conclusion... There is a wire(s) that has some protective sheilding around it which actually got in the way and restricted the pump from coming out of the tank. It was the sheilding that it was catching on, so my son came over to check it out, and discovered that you can move the shielded wire(s) over to the more indented area of the housing, it made it clear and he was able to pull it out. So, I asked myself, "why didn't I think of that?" It was nice of him to come over and make it look so EASY. So, let it be known that if it happens to you, that is probably what the issue is. Oh yeah, you can learn things from your children (grown up). I want to thank everyone for your input. Now I can continue to piece my bike back together, and finally make it better than before my accident. I'm putting a Yoshimura RS-22, 4 into 1 exhaust on it for starters, and then will be searching for components from ebay, etc.

Thanks again to all, and have a great holiday season!

:banghead:

Back