Fuel Tank Removal

paulcee

Registered
Hey guy's, Whenever I remove my fuel tank I have to clamp the 2 hoses to stop fuel from going everywhere. I have been told it shouldnt be like this. I'm not sure if this is true or not. The bike is a 2000 with the external fuel pump 2 hoses going from the tank to the pump. There is no switch off tap. Can anyone clear this up for me and save me a gallon of fuel every time im working on the bike. Thanks Paul:please:

There should be a shut off valve under the tank...but my bike has it removed for the turbo..but yours should be there on the big hose..its a headache without one..thats what i do is run the bike low when i know im going to remove the tank..then use vise grips and drain it in a gas can..

My 99 is the same way. May or may not have had a petcock on it at one time, but the lever was ground off by previous owner so it flows when unplugged.

What I do:
First look under your rear seat and see if there are the stock tank plugs that came with the bike. (little black caps that go over the tank barbs) Jam those onto the barbs when you remove the fuel lines.

If you don't have those, get two inch or two fuel lines standing by. Both have a bolt stuck in there blocking off one end and a hose clamp over the bolt. As soon as you pull the lines off the tank, put the new plug on there and it blocks fuel from coming out.

Last option, remove the hose from the pump and let it drain into a gas can, work from there.

I used to want to put an inline shut off valve lol, but nah. Not much leaks once you've done it a few times.

Lol, guys thanks for your response, I have pretty much done everything you guys have advised me to do, I have big stubby hands so I'm not able to catch the hoses quick enough, och well just need to think of some way to burn the fuel out when I'm working on it lol, thanks a lot for you help guys ;-)

Before I removed my tank (Gen II) I got a hose on drained all the gas out, all I needed was a napkin to stop the tiny spillage

Lol I unhooked mine last night to relocate my fuel pump (again). I guess I'm just rusty because sh*$ sprayed everywhere lol, I should have just drained it! I forgot my system: put a bolt in a short hose to create a blockoff hose and clamp the bolt BEFORE I take the fuel line off. I just unhooked a line and tried to put a bolt in and clamp it all while gas is flowing out lol. Not optimal, but funny and humbling.

hey stretch no secret mods going on buddy lol, the Busa is all done and wrapped up nice and warm
In it's bed waiting on some nice weather, this is an old thread from before I done the upgrade, someone just bumped it up. Don't worry mate when I'm doing anything else I'll be in touch for your wisdom as always lol, I wish you a very merry Xmas and a safe and prosperous 2012

Hmm, my -00 has the tap but it looks like it´s sanded down or smth too, if i check for a new fueltap on ebay they look the same?!

On 99 and 00 models, you need to be quick, to cap off the lines or drain the tank!

Suzuki, has a petcock, on these models but with no way to turn the fuel off!

On 99 and 00 models, you need to be quick, to cap off the lines or drain the tank!

Suzuki, has a petcock, on these models but with no way to turn the fuel off!

Oops, i was almost about to order one but now that i saw here it´s not only mine that looks like that i did some searching and found this:

Hayabusa fuel taps. - Bike Chat Forums

So, are kickbacks caused by thin cables to the starter/bad starters? I just can´t find a solution anywhere it seems like :banghead:

The "petcock" can be turned with a screwdriver (*edit, I guess mine already had a slot in it), but it doesn't shut fuel all the way off, just slows it down. That and a couple of bolts stuck in the end of the lines is what I use. The plier looking clamps work well, but don't leave them on the line for extended periods (weeks) or the the line will be deformed. Also don't forget to turn the petcock back on. The bike will run with it in the off position but it will run out of fuel at upper rpms. This will make you feel like an a$$hat if you are on the dyno tuning a turbo bike. Ask me how I know.......

So, are kickbacks caused by thin cables to the starter/bad starters? I just can´t find a solution anywhere it seems like :banghead:
Solution is to order an 03+ starter setup. I don't know what causes the earlier years starter kickbacks, but it's definitely an issue. The fix is pretty easy thankfully.

For kickbacks on the gen 1 it seems to be the starter clutch that wears out pretty easily, I have recently upgraded the full starter system to a 2006 and no more kickbacks, be careful if these kickbacks they can crack the engine casing very easily and then it's an expensive repair

Thanks guys, the extremeengines starter idler gear is supposed to do the same thing as the 03 setup so i should have that covered. The starter clutch looks just fine and no hammered "pins" or anything like that, can it be worn out evenly looking fine? The starter spins just fine but as it starts on (almost always) the third turn it almost stops before starting, sometimes it actually stops totally but if i don't let go of the button it spins again and starts after a clunk. I have the case saver and hd pins so i hope i'm covered there too.

Back