battery

gordon holmes

Registered
I have a k8 busa had it 3 years now when I had around 2000mls on it I had a problem it would not turn the engine over quick enough to start when it was warm or after doing a few miles.
I went back to my dealer and he put a new battery on it and it was ok until recently.
Now Im having the same problem it starts ok when cold but when I rode it a while after stopping and try and restart it it will not turn the engine over quick enough to start because the engine is warm I wait untill the engine cools down and then it will start.??????
hope somone can help me out on this problem.

How many miles on the bike ? My K8 did the same thing. I'm still running the original battery. Had the rectifier recall done but never had an issue with the charging system. I don't remember exactly when this stopped, but I believe I had 5K or so miles on it when it stopped. I attributed this to the motor upgrades zuki did and after putting some miles on the bike things loosened up enough for it to stop grunting a little on hot starts. :dunno:

have you checked the voltage drop when you attempt to start it?

also have you checked the valve clearance yet?

I agree at 15K it should be well broke in. My next thought will be this, if you had the rectifier recall done and the battery is good, as long as it's cranking I would grip it and rip it. If it's still under warranty take it in and let the shop address the issue.

Could be a lot of things.

If it has a new enough battery in it, there might something up with your charging system. When you crank it, it takes A LOT out of a battery, and if your charging system is not up to par, it isn't charging the battery back to full while you ride. Hence, it not starting well after that.

Could be your starting going out, which causes the battery to crank forever, losing voltage and wearing out batteries.

Whatever it is, get it fixed fast, because one thing wrong in your starting/charging system can mess up other or all of the parts over time.

Whoa, the 2008s had a rectifier recall? Note to self not to buy that year.

I had a lot of problems with my '99. Went through three rectifiers until I did the HD upgrade and replaced my stator and rectifier.

Check the voltage across the terminals when you start the bike. It should run at least 12.8V at 5K and jump to 13-14V. If it starts to decrease to 11V, you've got problems. You should check the rectifier capacitance as per the manual (you can also check the stator). Also, check the wires and connectors for any signs of burning or overheating. You will need to remove the tail section, or at least loosen it on one side (left side on the Gen-1... not sure on Gen-2) to access the rectifier.

I had charging problems for a LONG time until I finally pinpointed the problem and fixed it. I would not wish these problems on anyone. It was one of those intermittent failures where the bike ran fine, then suddenly failed at the worst possible time. :banghead:

Get the K08 service manual or ask someone here for the electrical system section. It has the tests you need to run to check the battery, stator and rectifier. If you can, check the terminal voltage when you go riding. A slowly decreasing voltage means you're running off the battery and there is a charging system failure somewhere.

Good luck!

or you can check stator output at idle, and 5k rpms and it will tell you if its producing voltage or not.

just went thru this with my 2000 turned out to be a bad stator.

thanks everyone for your thoughts I will try everything you all have asked me to try and will let you all know how I go on with the problem thanks again

That was exactly what mine was doing before the rectifier recall was done. Dealer put a new battery in it and replaced the rectifier, and no problems since..

Hi Ive contacted Suzuki GB and they have organised a new rectifier to be fitted to my bike as it should have been recalled. So hope this rectifies the problem thanks everyone for the info.
Gordon H.:please:

Whoa, the 2008s had a rectifier recall? Note to self not to buy that year.
There was a factory issue with the construction of the rectifier on almost everything Suzuki built from '08 - '11. It was a massive recall.

Sorry to bring this old tread up again but my 08 is having warm start issues again Its already had 2 recalls done for the rectifiers in my case I don t know how old is the battery but before I buy a new battery I want to check the earth to the frame and battery wire to the starter I am guessing I will have to remove fairings for this job ? :thumbsup:

Hi.
I read in someone's post, with similar symptoms, that the starter motor was at fault, when the bike got hot the magnets in the starter has come loose and were binding against the spinning internals, due to heat expansion, it was fine when cold but really slow to crank when hot.
Good luck.

Thanks Its ok again :banghead: what I did was I fully charged the battery and took it to a auto shop to get it tested the battery passed with flying colours I put it back in and has not failed me yet ? time will tell I guess :thumbsup:

Back