oil light stays on after tip over

Ilikemybike

Registered
I was in the process of getting the bike ready for winter storage when it tipped over while running ( I had to open a gate, put the bike on the stand in a grassy area, then close the gate) while I was closing the gate, I noticed the bike had stopped running. Looking over, i saw that it had tipped over. I got it back up, but when I fired it up, the oil light stayed on. I have since waited about an hour, and tried again. Starts right up but oil light stays on. I disconnected the battery for a while, started it, again, the oil light stays on. My bike is an 2001 with only 7k miles. How could a gently tip over onto the grass cause an oil pressure problem. Has anyone ever expirienced anything like this? I am really freaked out and I would like to figure it out before it gets stored for the winter. Thanks.

Check the oil level, sensor wiring, oil lines. Someone who knows will be along soon. Best of luck.

The oil level is good, the pressure switch is on the right side (the bike fell on the left side) so I don't see how the wiring could have gotten screwed up but I will take another look.

Make sure they wire is still on the oil pressure switch. Make sure the screw is on there tight.

My oil light is out. What I did is: remove the oil pressure swich and test on the bench..tested good. Removed the plug from the oil pressure test port and turned the engine over briefly. I thought if the system was cavitated, this would "burp" it. I then replace the plug and switch. Before I re-attached the wire to the switch, I turned on the ignition. After being off initially, after a few seconds, the oil pressure light came on!! without the wire attached to the oil pressure switch. This told me the ECU could control the light independent of the pressure switch. I then began to have hopes. I attached the wire to the switch and turned the ignition on... wouldn't turn over, got a "check" message in the display. Disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, and finally it started right up and the oil pressure light went out immediately. Took it for a long ride. This time got it safely in the shed with no tip-over trauma. Conclusion, the ECU can control the oil pressure light in certain instances independent of the oil pressure circuit. Maybe it's done so you will haul it to the dealer if you have a tip-over while running so it can be inspected. Or maybe it was cavitating and I got the burp out. or.....??? Just happy to have it stored for the winter in good working order.

The oil level is good, the pressure switch is on the right side (the bike fell on the left side) so I don't see how the wiring could have gotten screwed up but I will take another look.
The main wiring harness runs down the left side. Not sure I was just throwing thoughts out there.

Back