Starter(ing) Problems  Education needed ASAP

Twister NOS

Registered
First off, let me state that I have read almost every post since the "beginning" in regards to this issue. Please do not hammer me for asking this. I know there is No Recall in regards to this issue, but there is a service bulletin. With that said...

Facts:
2002 Busa
7000 miles, second owner
No warrenty that I know of
Starter Clanks/clunks during starting
Problem started about 300 miles ago and has be getting worst

Good evening all, I really need someones help about this. I stopped by the local (Miami, FL) Suzuki dealer (Cutler Ridge Powersports) today and spoke to the service tech about a starting problem and asked about a recall/service bulletin on this (did my research before, but wanted to play dumb). The guy assured me (made me feel like a fool) that there was no recall or service bulletin about starting problem and started to type on the computer. After a couple minutes (he got side tracked with a phone call and what not, stated that there was nothing about it and said he has seen two problems like what I am saying. Usually they come in with a broken case. Tried giving up a little info, but he didn't want to hear it. Told me to take off the service cover and check for broken teeth, if I had teeth missing, just replace the gear and I should be good to go.... Left the dealer a little upset, but hey, whatever. Got home and took the busa apart and found the cover, started taking it off and noticed a little oil, so I stopped and tighten it back up.
I need some steps. I figured I would start off tomorrow by calling around to different dealer and getting as much info as I can, see if anyone would say; "hey ya, Suzuki will cover that, just bring the bike in and give us a day or so." If I can't get a good answer, I was going to call Suzuki of American and ask around there. If all signs point to no, what should be the next step? I have no problem working on the bike myself, so I figured I should just buy the $250 beefy starter gear/titanium sleeve and install it with a new gasket. Should that cure it? I can't afford to have the dealer to this work; shoot, I really can't afford the starter gear, but hey, I love to ride! Does this sound like a good plan of attack? Anyone from these parts know of somewhere that will hook a brother up?

Yes..... the dealer (same dealer) would not sell me the 14 so I took the 12. Same problem on a fully changed 12.
Jonathan Hays

Hey Twister NOS, I had this problem several months ago. I've heard of a bulletin, but no recalls. I changed the whole starter and added the new beefier idler gear also. I also went with a larger battery which is 235cca rather than the stock 170cca (I think it's 170...). Anyway between the starter ($250), idler gear ($270), and larger battery ($109 at Schnitz Racing), it cost me upwards of $600 to somewhat remedy my Busa from all this poop. I did add the titanium sleeve also. Can't remember the exact price, but it was about $30 from Schnitz. Only thing is that the gear on the starter has to be replaced with another starter. The gear cannot be removed and another added. What sucks is that the teeth on the starter may be worn, but the odds are that the starter still works fine. It's a totally fugged up deal, but if you want to ride, then you'll just have to bite the bullet. I have the 2002 also and it really pisses me off that Suzuki knows of this problem. If that wasn't the case, then why did they add a beefier idler gear on the '03 model?
rock.gif
I love my Busa, but as far as my feeling about Suzuki as a whole... I certainly have mixed emotions. Good luck!

Brian

Thanks Brain for the words....Sounds like I may be out of pocket then...and out of a bike for a little bit. Let me ask you this then. If the starter gear is just a little screwed (again, I have not removed the cover yet) would just replacing the idler gear be "enough" of a fix....Or should I bite it and do everything (ouch, that just hurts saying). What about these "complete" kits on ebay I see. Right now there is one for 200 bucks:
Up for auction is a Starter clutch upgrade kit which upgrades your 1999 and 2000 starter and clutch to the new design. The first generation starter clutches and motors were notorious for stripping out failing. This will make your first generation starter clutch perform up to new standards.

It will also work to replace the new starter and clutch on 2000 and later engines.

It includes all you need except for 2 parts, which is a gasket and a pin that retails for under $15.00.

These are genuine Suzuki parts, the parts included is:

12600-24F00 Idler Gear

11380-24f20 Starter clutch cover

11382-24f20 Starter idler cap

31100-24F10 Starter motor

11492-24F00 Starter cover gasket

12600-24840 Starter clutch set

200 bucks for that setup?
rock.gif
 Hmmm!  I don't know.  Have the teeth on both the idler gear and the starter checked.  I'm willing to bet if one is screwed, then so is the other.  If that setup on ebay has the new beefier idler gear then I would say... "Go for it!"  If not, then I would just simply purchase the beefier idler gear along with the setup from ebay.  Still can't understand them selling all that stuff for only $200.  An idler gear and starter alone each cost more than $200, so I'm wondering just how legit this deal is.
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|bacharles
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100098155 -->

rock.gif

I am getting use to the "sounds too good to be true idea".
On a positive note,. I just got off the phone with a different dealer here in Miami and the service writer told me to bring the bike in and if there is a service bulletin on the issue he would "take care of me". Sounds maybe there is a little light at the end of the tunnel. I know this probably will not pan out, but it is worth a try. Will keep this thread updated.
Jonathan Hays

If you're going to ride a while before replacing the whimpy parts with the beefyier parts, make sure you don't start it while twisting the throttle.  Just pull in the clutch and push the button.  Less of a chance of breaking parts.

Sounds like yours will go soon. As soon as you can afford to, I would get the beefyier parts.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100109041 -->

This is really strange.. I have a 99 Busa never did anykind of change in the starter departement. I just pull out the idler gear and it looks brand new? My bike as over 50,000KM... Never made ONE clunck while cranking-starting.... According to most over here I should had a couple of teeth missing on this one !
smile.gif
Its very THING and the contact with the Starter is very minimal as well... Very strange!
smile.gif

smile.gif

Have you seen this post?
Yes I have....I have read it forwards and backwards and even printed it out.  I called three dealers in total today.  Two dealers were very understanding and want me to bring the bike in, one of the two even took the VIN and spoke to the head mechanic about it.  I am going to ride to the closest dealer that said they would look at it tomorrow and see what they say.  
Should I leave the fairing off?  Maybe make it easier for them?

<!--EDIT|Twister NOS
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100128216 -->

I just replaced the starter assembly on my 02 a while back...I had ext. warranty so they covered it without a question...Upgraded to 03 haven't had a problem since...Hopefully one of the dealers will take care of you and you'll come out on the good side...
evil.gif

I just got off the phone with Suzuki. I asked them about this service bulletin and they told it that it is just to notify dealers that the updated parts will work in all Busas. I the starter fails due to manufactures defect and the bike is covered under warrenty it will be fixed by them. If the bike is out of warrenty then it is up to the owner.

Hey all....Here is an update. Took my bike to the dealer today and they wanted to hold on to it..so I told them I would bring it back...I was just getting ready to take my wife out tonight and needed to waste a little time. SOOO...I tore the bike apart to see if I could get some pictures and fix it...well....I did a little bit of both, but would like some feed back to what I am seeing. As you can tell by the pictures, I just uninstalled the starter housing...Do I need to investigate more? Take a look and let me know if you think this is the problem...I can see a little shaving of the gear...Please let me know.

idler_installed2.jpg

Back