Bike just shut off and no start.

Geoff

Registered
I was driving to work this morning and the bike just shut off on me and then wouldn't start back up. i sat around for a ride to me and the bike up for about 2 hours. When i get the bike back, the bike starts right up and I drive it about 25 miles or so back to the house without a problem?

What would cause this to happen, and is there a fix for this?

I have the Bazzaz full system and a TRE on the bike.

Thanks, Geoff

Lift the tank and look just above the tranny(I think that is where it is located), check the tip over switch to make sure it is still mounted securely. If thats not it, check the kickstand switch.

I would suspect an interlock. Plenty of folks have accidentally hit the kill switch before. The kickstand switch can cause problems too.

The bike is an 05 with 21K miles on it. And yes, there has been an issue with the FI light coming on it came up to be the codes for the coils, had that checked a few months ago, and was told that it was probably the quickshift causing it?

And i'm not sure what an interlock is? I have hit the kill switch before to reset the red FI light from flashing at me while riding. and then just hit in back on again.

And why get ride of the TRE?

Quickshifter will indeed cause it. The Tip Over, Kickstand Safety, Clutch Safety, Neutral or Gear Position, and Kill Switch all interlock the starter. Probably a few others

That's what I was told on here about the quickshifter.

But the engine was turning over with a no start issue, will those interlock stuff still allow the engine to turn over with no spark or something.

Thanks Guys for the input.. I just don't want to end up broke down again on the side of the road for over 2 hours again.. lol

The rectifier is normally just going to cause charging issues. Have you had the recall done?

Nevermind, you are an '05..

Alright the interlocks would not allow the starter to turnover. If you had a battery or charging system issue the bike would probably have issues turning over, however if the battery voltage drops low enough when starting the fuel injectors will not fire.

yeah it was weird, I sat on the side of the road for about 2 hours waiting on a ride. I tried to start the bike several times and all it would do is turn over and would not start, Right when my ride got there. I showed him what it was doing, And it started right up like it would do on any other day. And then I drove it 25 miles back to the house.

I still haven't looked into the issue with the bike, But I can go out and start it right up any day of the week, I just don't want to go out on one of our long rides with it like we do every weekend and for it to do the same thing.

Going back on that day, I did hit the kill switch to turn off the FI light from flashing at me while I was riding and the problem started, wonder if the kill switch had a flaw in it? I might take it out for a stroll sometime within the next few weeks just to see if it happens again.

Ok, I have been riding the bike around for a little while. Now the RPM's won't go above 7K, Could this be fuel pump issue? And could have been the reason the bike wouldn't start?

Thanks, Geoff

yeah it was weird, I sat on the side of the road for about 2 hours waiting on a ride. I tried to start the bike several times and all it would do is turn over and would not start, Right when my ride got there. I showed him what it was doing, And it started right up like it would do on any other day. And then I drove it 25 miles back to the house.

I still haven't looked into the issue with the bike, But I can go out and start it right up any day of the week, I just don't want to go out on one of our long rides with it like we do every weekend and for it to do the same thing.

Going back on that day, I did hit the kill switch to turn off the FI light from flashing at me while I was riding and the problem started, wonder if the kill switch had a flaw in it? I might take it out for a stroll sometime within the next few weeks just to see if it happens again.

You need to find out why the f1 light flashed in the first place. You need to put in dealer mode (do a search on here) and find out the error code.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

it's the code 23,24,25,26 or something like that. it was about the coils. but figured it was coming on due to the quick shifter.

Back