Wierd idle/speedo problem

Rothman

"Professional Lurker"
Registered
My bike starting acting funny about two weeks ago. First the speedo was reading way too low. Shut it down, and started it back up, no more problem. I took it home and made sure that all connections to the cluster were good which, they were. Yesterday, she was idleing high, at about 2000 rpm. Once again I shut it down and turned her back on. Idle was back to normal, now the speedo was reading low again. Rode her to work today and the same things were going on. It was either the speedo reading off or the idle was to high but never at the same time. I've been paying very close attention to the engine as all this is going on and it seems that there may be a slight millisecond of hesitation in throttle roll on. It may just be my mind playing tricks on me because I'm looking for other things to go awry. ANy suggestions? I'm going to check out the speedo pickup this weekend and see if that could be a culprit. What could be causing the high idle? BTW, it has been in the 50's and low 40's (temperature) when this is happening.

Move your ballast as far away from your cluster and make sure your wires running from the ballast to the lighted are not resting on the back of the cluster. I would route them against the plastic of the nose cone.

Happens allot.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Could my ballasts be to close to the harness? Would that cause a problem? I'm going to move the wires around tomorrow and see if it helps. Also, what can be used as shielding?

Resolved!!

I moved all of the output wiring as far away from the cluster and cluster harness as I could. No more problems!!!! Everything is back to normal.:thumbsup:

Thanks Busa186

Back