Can head be fixed

tofas2c

Registered
Before i spend any money on shipping this head off to see if it can be repaired I want to get some of your opinions. It has been ported and i had put stainless valves in it. Well it had dropped a couple vavles in cylinders 1 and 2. It has 3 cracked guides and every valve was bent. For 6-700 i can get a head off ebay. I do have all the ti-valves that were in it so i can just uses them. The head was set up for a set of 425 415 lift cams. What do you all think should be done.
Also i noticed there was a few scratches in cam journals and one 1/4 nick where it looks like something fell on one of the journals. That what happens when you leave it at a shop too long i guess.
Here are some pics of the problem child head.

100_1653.jpg

100_1654.jpg

100_1655.jpg

100_1657.jpg

100_1658.jpg

well i think its scrap im afraid as the valve seat is very badly damaged .

a fresh head in good condition will be a far better option cost wise

It would make a good trot line weight.......sorry. You would be better off with another head.

Yes it could be fixed. Cost effective? No! But it could be fixed.

from my dunce stool via tapatalk

make sure if you get a another head it has the original cam covers....they are a set with the head.

Yes it could be fixed. Cost effective? No! But it could be fixed.

I think what he really wants to know is will it be cost effective considering he has a $1000 port work done to it...anyone want to chime in on what it may take to get it fixed~?~

If it's a few hundred, it might be worth it...if it's $1500 then probably not.

I think what he really wants to know is will it be cost effective considering he has a $1000 port work done to it...anyone want to chime in on what it may take to get it fixed~?~

If it's a few hundred, it might be worth it...if it's $1500 then probably not.

From a machining stand point...NO. to be fixed properly, all the damage would need to be machined out, welded and remachined. No way your gonna machine, weld and re-machine without some distortion of the entire head.
Buy an unmolested head and have it machined back to his specs would be the most cost effective route to me.

I think that is exactly what he wants to know.

What about the cam journals. If there was no other damage are they repairable~?~

looks like a non runner , why did it drop a valve ? would be my main concern , you dont want a repeat performance !

the valves dropped for the reason, i thought I had someone that knew what they were doing did the head work. I think he did a good job on the porting but the stainless valve he put in seized to the guides when it just built a little heat. All I did was a 6th gear roll on and at about 3500rpms it came apart. I dont know alot about the expansion difference in ti vs stainless but im thinking there is a difference. If so he should have made and adjustment for that. Thanks for your input everyone.

Sorry, but I agree with the others. That head is only good for scrap metal at this point. It would be impossible to weld in all the missing alum material and still keep thing true. Junk it and find another head to start fresh from. There is a similar head that just came up for sale on EBAY that the owner says CAN BE REPAIRED. You should contact him....he is in Roanoke, VA just like you are !!!

08 09 10 11 Hayabusa engine cylinder head Ported by Lazer Porting needs repair | eBay

LOL........before anyone says anything, I am probably going to bid on it full knowing that it can't be fixed.

Hey Guys that head is mine on ebay. I have had two performance shops said they could fix it but Im not willing to fork out another dime on it. So if I get anything out of it I will be happy. Maybe it will be worth its weight in aluminum. Or someone can use the Ti vavles.

Id buy it ;)
Just might actually
Also putting skulls in will repair it
And the nick in journal isnt a huge worry if cleaned up right
What u want for the head?

Back