Front Brake

paulcee

Registered
I am looking for a wee bit of advice, I have had my Busa for about a year and a half, Now when I first bough the bike I didnt have a clue about them at all, When I mentioned the brake to the seller he said thats they way they are, The lever comes almost all the way to the bar and 2 finger braking is impossible on this bike, If I leave 2 fingers on then these fingers get jammed and the brake doesnt work. Could anyone let me know if this is the way it is supposed to be or is there a remedy for it, I have changed the pads and have dot 4 brake fluid in it, I have bled the air out and refilled but its still the same, Dont get me wrong it works great, its the travelling distance that bothers me. Cheers

no mate that's not how they are.

several things need checking first.

are the callipers ok and not seized even 1 piston seized can cause this and theres 12 pistons.

have you tried bleeding the brakes again (the 6 pots are troublesome) and can be a pita.
if you undo the left bleed nipple and pull lever and hold then re tighten the nipple. repeat a few times then do right side same way that will get any air out.

also put the bars to full left lock on side stand and move the lever a few times about 5mm as this expels any air trapped in the mc.

try this first if you think alls well undo the calliper bolts on ONE calliper and slide it back so the pads are nearly off the disc 5mm left.
squeeze the lever a couple of times and the force the calliper back on (it should be quite stiff)

repeat on the other and see if that restores full lever.

if its still dodgy there is something wrong.

report back after trying or you can pm me and ill try and walk you through several methods

hth leon

Lonner, Youre a top man, I will try the above tomorrow and post how I get on with it, If I fail ill try to catch you online and you could maybe give me a few more pointers, Thanks for your help, Paul

Lonner, Youre a top man, I will try the above tomorrow and post how I get on with it, If I fail ill try to catch you online and you could maybe give me a few more pointers, Thanks for your help, Paul

no prob paul im about tomorrow but dont expect me to pop over lol as your 400 miles away

Did you bleed both at the piston AND at the calipers? Mine sure isn't like that...

As described, your brakes are definitely fooked, mate. :disagree:

Leon's advice is spot on... try that first and see if it's improved the situation.

Gen I brakes are not really renown for 1-fingers stoppies (to say the least!). Even if you get the brakes working sufficiently again, you still may want to consider installing braided stainless steel brake lines at some point. The HEL lines are exceptional, as are Spiegler and a few others.

Good luck, mate! :beerchug:

Lots of improvements for the brakes, rotors, lines, master cylinder, pads ....... but you have issues. I have the pazzo shortie levers and brake all the time with two fingers. My lever comes back a little before I get that grab, but my bikes still completely factory with 25K on it.

As described, your brakes are definitely fooked, mate. :disagree:

Leon's advice is spot on... try that first and see if it's improved the situation.

Gen I brakes are not really renown for 1-fingers stoppies (to say the least!). Even if you get the brakes working sufficiently again, you still may want to consider installing braided stainless steel brake lines at some point. The HEL lines are exceptional, as are Spiegler and a few others.

:beerchug:

+1 on the braided lines especially if the rubber items have some age on them.
Also, have owned previously 2 Gen 1 Busa;s and friends Gen 1's have never been as you describe yours.

Good Luck with the mods, Stretch

Bleed the brakes. Get some thick rubber bands and rubber band the lever to the grip for a few hours. Check for leaks. If everything is dry, re-bleed the brakes and you should have a firm lever.

Bleed the brakes. Get some thick rubber bands and rubber band the lever to the grip for a few hours. Check for leaks. If everything is dry, re-bleed the brakes and you should have a firm lever.

that wont cure this issue as its simply the pistons dragging too far back off the disc's so they need the gap adjusting so its tighter and this will give a good lever.

its a common fix on these early design 6 pots and works well but you need to do it every 1000 miles to keep it good .
the ones fitted to K1 gsxr's are far better and dont suffer this prob but they don't fit sadly

the lever method is great for shifting trapped air after a refurbishment or new lines

Well once again you guys have come through for me, I followed all of the advice above Inc braided lines and now I just have touch the lever and the brake is on, I take my hat off to you and thank you all for your help cheers paul

Back