burned a valve

diezel1616

Registered
Changed exhaust and I am pretty sure I burnt a valve. Losing oil and smell of burning oil coming out of pipes. For an 02
Bus a, how much am I looking at as far as cost? Mechanic will be doing the work, was hoping for general ballpark idea before I get estimates. Anyone have an idea?

Burnt valve wouldn't cause you lose oil, maybe rings/ piston that is having issues keeping the oil out of the combustion chamber.

Burned valve won't cause oil loss but a bad valve seal will along with items mentioned in the post above. How much oil is it using or losing?

:welcome: to the oRg. You can pull the plugs, and you should find a wet one. Changing the exhaust may have caused a lean condition and caused some damage. Get it in before you do more damage. I see a 1397 in your future

I wish the 1400 was in my near future, would be a happy man. Put in about half a quart of oil and not two days later...40 miles.. it is
Pretty damn low again. Sounds like the seal is my issue according to you guys. Any ideas of what repair would be so I can
Have an honest quote?

Changed the exhaust and nothing else? Not sure how you would have burned a valve. How did you lean out your mixture?

I see you have a pair valve sucker mod.I would start there and see if that hose is wet inside.I bet the better flowing exhaust may be pulling oil out the crank case??I just run a breather filter on mine.Maybe disconnect that and see what happens.

Back