Steering Issue / Weird Vibration

Timz0r

Registered
Hey everyone,

I've just recently joined the Hayabusa.oRg forums after being a long time reader. I've picked up lots of helpful tips from you guys over the past while! With that said, I haven't been able to determine an issue I've been having with my 2009 'Busa.

The bike has 8,300km on it so far, and has been ridden fairly modestly since the break-in period... mostly. ;) Since last week I've been having a strange vibration in the front end that seems to be transferring through the entire bike. It starts as a low hum at around 2,000RPM but gradually increases in intensity right up to about 4,900RPM. After that it seems to disappear. I've been reading a lot about 'Busa vibrations; some people claim it's part of the bike's characteristics, but others claim it can be fixed. Anyway, yesterday when I was out for a ride, the bike seemed to be pulling slightly more to the right through corners than it probably should. It's hard to describe, but if it's happened to you I'm sure you know what I mean. It's a very subtle pull. At first I thought it was the wind, but I ruled that out after it persisted while riding through the city.

I am wondering if there is a possibility the two issues are linked. I am going to take it in to the local 'Zuki dealership on Wednesday, but I thought I'd post here first to see if someone else had experienced the same sort of issue. I am not the best guy with a wrench, but I'm running Avon Storm ST tires both at 42psi. Everything else is stock. Steering head bearings and steering nuts shouldn't need adjusted this early, should they?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

I doubt it's steering head bearings. If you hold the front brake and ease out slowly on the clutch just until it starts to catch you'de hear a click or pop and feel the slack. The triple clamps and forks would rock back and forth slightly against the front of the fame as you engage/disengage the clutch.
If the bike is pulling it is possible a caliper is dirty and dragging more than the other side.
The front wheel could easily be out of balance too, that will certainly cause a vibration, and it can clear up at different speeds.
Gen2 Busa's(08 to 11)do not have the 4500rpm buzz that gen1's do either.
What does your front tire look like?
The 42psi is also not the problem, but dropping a couple psi will make for a better ride and a bigger contact patch witht the road. Your tire pressure will come up 2 to 3 psi when the tires heat up too.:beerchug:
I'de also check the alignment of the rear wheel.

well id be looking at front wheel bearing on its way out

you cant always feel a lot of play in early stage but what you say is a good pointer as it will slowly worsen

its so common on heavy bikes and a suzuki top ten fault but happily a very cheap fix too so not too bad a prob.

hth

Welcome to the oRg. Drop your tire pressures to about 38, and have the balance on the front tire checked. I bet you it the tire. Also, the Gen II does have a slight vibration in the bars at about 4500 rpm. You can slow down, accelerate or change gears to get out of that rpm range. Other than that, it should be smooth as butter.

Thanks for all of the input guys, I will start with the tire pressure/balance solution, and go from there. :]

Cheers!

Welcome to the oRg. Drop your tire pressures to about 38, and have the balance on the front tire checked. I bet you it the tire. Also, the Gen II does have a slight vibration in the bars at about 4500 rpm. You can slow down, accelerate or change gears to get out of that rpm range. Other than that, it should be smooth as butter.
:thumbsup:
Also check the condition of the tire itself, I don't know how many miles you have on it but, it may very well be cupped.
Combine that condition with high pressure and funny things happen.

Back