Rear wave brake rotor warped?

issdar

Registered
I installed a galfer wave rotor on my 06 busa not to long ago because I thought rear rotor was warped. Now I am not so sure because the galfer is doing same symptoms. When I apply rear brake I can feel its not braking evenly as it does slow down at consistent speed. I examined my old rotor and it does look like its warped from what I can tell. I am gonna rebuild the rear caliper when I get it powercoated hope thats the issue maybe one of pistons sticking?

That is a new one. Although look at it this way: we've sold a lot of Galfer rotors and not once have I ever had someone call back & say it was not straight out of the box. Are you getting a pulsing in the foot pedal under braking? And assuming you installed new pads with the new rotor?

Cloud be the caliper but if you didn't replace the pads they could cause the same feeling because they have wore to the shape of the old rotor.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Are you losing the rear brake ? Is there pulsing in your brake foot ? If one of these two aren't true, you're probably not suffering from a warped rotor. These rotors are very fragile, you must be extremely careful with them. Installing them, or changing tires. As far as I know they can't be refaced.

There is no pulsing in the brake pedal or doesn't feel like its losing pressure. If I lightly apply the rear brake by hand and spin the wheel I can feel a spot that it slows the wheel more. I didn't have the problem right when I installed the rotor it was good for little bit. But started to do same thing as my old rotor. I did purchase new galfer pads that I was using with the old rotor. The rotor face does look clean and even from inspecting it. When I take it apart I will inspect the wear of the pads as well.

Check that both chain adjusters are even = to each other. If they are not, it will act like a warped rear rotor-been there myself.

Hmmm good point BLUTO they look pretty even. I did my wheel alighment with the string technique wrapped around back tire and pulls to the front and measured distance off front wheel. I will try to double check alignment today thanks for the tip!

Thanks BLUTO! that was actually it my alignment was off by ~1/4 inch or more.. just corrected it now normal braking :) yesss

I use a el-cheapo digital micrometer from Harbor Freight since the little swingarm marks are so hard to see...

Bump...problem still happening double checked the alignment and its good. I also removed brake pads and cleaned pistons bleed brakes thoroughly problem is still there with uneven braking don't know what else it could be :/

Bump...problem still happening double checked the alignment and its good. I also removed brake pads and cleaned pistons bleed brakes thoroughly problem is still there with uneven braking don't know what else it could be :/

Take your bike to Alan At Sportbike Dynamics in Petaluma. He'll figure out the problem.

Did you check your cush drive? Maybe you have slightly bent wheel?
Did you have this problem before you changed over to galfer?
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Just finished a bike today. Let me get the Guy to pick up and you and I can go over your bike this weekend if your free. Pm me with your number. Bob

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Its funny you mention that Bob because it does slightly feel like cush drive is going out I ordered the Seico drag racing ones that supposedly last longer and not as much play. Right now I can move sprocket back and forth by hand and it has a bit of play. Should have them today or early next week. Ill PM you my number

Sooo found the root Of the problem with the help of bob(hes awesome!) it turns out it is a warped rotor I'm gonna contact tim at pashnit
About getting a replacement. Here is what we did took off his wheel and sprocket installed my warped galfer rotor. Took it for a test spin had same pulsing issues so we ruled out it being my wheel,bearings,or sprocket. Then we installed his galfer wave rotor back on his wheel and took my bike for a test spin problem gone! Took us about 2-3 hr but finally got
It figured out thanks again bob!!

No problem Tony it was bugging me too.

Your rotor has a definite high spot and I'm glad the pulsing went away After we put my rotor and wheel on your bike. Process of elimination! When you get the replacement Galfer, give me call and we'll throw it on.

Bob

had the same with my gsxr k1 1000 and it was a distorted disc i got one off ebay and it was sorted.

mine felt fine braking at speed but light braking at say 5-10mph is when it felt grabby !!

think you just got unlucky as my bad dicc was the first ive had with 40 bikes and god knows how many miles .

ive only had this once with fronts too

Tim told me to get in touch with Galfer customer support since its still under warranty. I called them today and told me to send in rotor and pads with RMA so they can test it. Warranty says 180days on rotors so should be getting a new one :D

Back